Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
pt question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Sep 2009, 06:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default pt question

hello everyone im new and i recently purchased my pt cruiser and im waiting to mod it so does anyone know where i can get a 5 speed manual transmission for my pt? and a shop that can doit?
i drive a 2005 pt cruiser convertible.
Old 16 Sep 2009, 06:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: pt question

Welcome to the forum.

I know a shop that does great work at reasonable prices. It's here in central Florida. Since you didn't say or post where you live I take it you didn't care where the shop is.

There's also a big salvage yard with crashed PT's and I would bet there's a manual trans in their yard somewhere. It the PT already a manual? Why not just rebuild it with some new gears?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 11:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Im located in florida too so thats perfect and no its not manual its auto i hate it -_- So if anything to enjoy my car more i would like it to be stick. Do u know how much the shop would charge for a swap?
Old 17 Sep 2009, 01:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

No, haven't the faintest idea. Never asked them about doing something like that. They would probably not have a quote except a ruff estimate and they would go by how many hours it would take to do the job.

The large salvage yard down the road also down mechanical work so if they happen to have a 5 speed from a PT they might be able to put it in too. I'll stop by and ask the next time I go by there.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 05:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Was just thinking of what your trying to do ...auto trans to manual. What about the clutch system, including new pedals, shifter and linkage. This is gonna cost a small fortune to switch over and won't the computer have to reprogrammed? Maybe not?

Old 17 Sep 2009, 06:26 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to fastdel

as above
it going to a costly job and long job to convert from auto to manual
Old 17 Sep 2009, 07:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Should ask over at PTCrew.com, there are a lot of Florida guys over there, I drove down to meet a few and do a tool time with them, they had some great connections there. From Boca over to Ft. Lauderdale....
Old 17 Sep 2009, 08:18 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Pretty much not gonna happen. Unless you can get the PCM and all the other modules to believe that it's a manual car you're outta luck. You could in theory get a PCM from a manual trans PT, get all the other computers to believe it and it would work. Mechanically it's easy peasy. Electronically EXTREMELY difficuly. It would involve a new instrument cluster, probably a new SKIM module, wiring harness from a manual trans car. The shift cables,clutch, mounts and pedals are easy. Honestly you would be better off getting one that has a manual trans originally.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 06:56 am
Cool Cruiser

Aj at ptcrew builds beefy auto trannies this job you mentioned is gonna cost $2500ish.... For that price check out dcr racing trannies

Josh
50trim (2 Weeks)
Stage 3 (3 months)
Big Wheel Stage 3 (6 months) my Fav
Holset HX35 (6 months) 700whp turbo
Stock turbo its a daily driver now

I've done this once or twice before...
Old 18 Sep 2009, 10:31 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
There's also a big salvage yard with crashed PT's and I would bet there's a manual trans in their yard somewhere.
Hey Crewzin - whereabouts??!! I'm in broward, the only yard worth anything near me (u-pullit) has had zero PT's over the past couple years.

I'm heading through there in early october going north, I wonder if I could swing in to the yard on my way back - my wife needs a new dash pad and I need a new trim panel to go under the dash on the passenger side.