PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Expertise needed...Replacing Turbo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Sep 2009, 06:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Expertise needed...Replacing Turbo

Hello All,

I just bought a used 2005 PT Cruiser Convertible that needs a turbo replacement. The condition of the purchase was that the dealer would replace the turbo. I have a few questions related to this. Would really appreciate your expertise.

1. Is there an easy way to tell whether the dealer has actually replaced the turbo without having another mechanic open everything up to check? Are there any clues possible from how the car drives? Can the dealer do any short cuts, which should be watched for?

2. I guess replacing the turbo is major work getting into the engine. Is there any maintainence work that I could request the dealer to peform or check on while replacing. I was thinking whether timing belt could be checked or replaced at the same time, etc.? Do you guys have any tips.

Thanks in advance for your expertise.

Murtuza
Old 24 Sep 2009, 08:15 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Expertise needed...Replacing Turbo

Welcome to the PT Forum, I't s great to have another convertible owner on the forum.

Can you tell us how many miles this car has on it? Unless it is crowding 80K miles, the timing belt should be OK. At about 50K the plugs and plug wires need replacing with a much higher quality set of wire like the Granatelli wires.
Old 24 Sep 2009, 08:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Jim.

It currently has 79,000 miles. From the Carmax report, shows that the previous owner had done the tuning (which probably includes spark plugs, etc.) and rountine maintainence at 68,000 miles.

I don't know whether a faulty turbo would negate those replacements and it would be better to do them again since the dealer may be opening up the engine any way.

Thanks.
Old 24 Sep 2009, 08:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Do the timing belt, water pump since they are going to be working on it anyway. I would get a estimate first B 4 you commit. A outside shop may be able to do it for less money. There was a company listed Rock something (My bad), but, Crewzin purchased his parts from them and had a outside shop do it for him.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 24 Sep 2009, 05:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Do the timing belt, water pump since they are going to be working on it anyway. I would get a estimate first B 4 you commit. A outside shop may be able to do it for less money. There was a company listed Rock something (My bad), but, Crewzin purchased his parts from them and had a outside shop do it for him.
Way early to do the timing belt and water pump. They will be no where near them doing the turbo. I think they are good to 90-100K miles or more and they are expensive. I doubt that the dealer will do them as part of the deal.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 24 Sep 2009, 06:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome.
My advice would be to go to WalMart and buy a 5-quart jug of Mobil 1 5W30 and bring that to dealer and insist they change the oil, and for you to use it every oil change thereafter.
You can ask about timing belt, but I doubt dealer will throw it in - maybe you could go halves...
I don't think dealer can or would cut corners on replacing turbo.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles