Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
tranny....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Sep 2009, 09:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default tranny....

Hi in the owners manual they talk about an oil change for the tranny (04 GT auto) and was wondering how hard it is to do at home, because im sure any shop or worse the dealer must charge a bundle for this....thanks!

To hell with all religions!

Yes my baby is stock, for now!
Old 29 Sep 2009, 08:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: tranny....

Very easy to do at home. Save ya some bucks.
Make sure you have the right fluid. ATF +4. Drop the pan, clean off any old gasket, clean the magnet and change the filter. This would be a good time to add an after market drain plug to the pan so it would be easy to drain next time. Replace the pan with new gasket. No need for sealer. Gasket will seal just fine. Then refill with 4 qts. Be careful not to over fill and you want to check the fluid level after you have driven it and have it up to operating temp.
If you want to flush, you can remove the return line from the cooler circuit and put in a pan. Have someone start the car and run it until about a quart comes out, then add new back in. Repeat the process a few times until you have it flushed. You don't want to pump out all the fluid at one shot. You will know when it's flushed. The fluid will change from dark to a lighter color. Same as before, drive it till it's up to operating temp and check the fluid level.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 08:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: tranny....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
Very easy to do at home. Save ya some bucks.
Make sure you have the right fluid. ATF +4. Drop the pan, clean off any old gasket, clean the magnet and change the filter. This would be a good time to add an after market drain plug to the pan so it would be easy to drain next time. Replace the pan with new gasket. No need for sealer. Gasket will seal just fine. Then refill with 4 qts. Be careful not to over fill and you want to check the fluid level after you have driven it and have it up to operating temp.
If you want to flush, you can remove the return line from the cooler circuit and put in a pan. Have someone start the car and run it until about a quart comes out, then add new back in. Repeat the process a few times until you have it flushed. You don't want to pump out all the fluid at one shot. You will know when it's flushed. The fluid will change from dark to a lighter color. Same as before, drive it till it's up to operating temp and check the fluid level.
thanks!!

To hell with all religions!

Yes my baby is stock, for now!