Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
stuck thermostat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Sep 2009, 09:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default stuck thermostat?

my '03 pt cruiser has been overheating lately to the point that there is a bubbling noise, smoke coming out, the whole deal.

we checked the oil and coolant levels and when we filled them up, it was still the same problems.

so we added water to the radiator thing.... and so while running the car to see how it worked, it took a little while longer to overheat but regardless, it still overheated.

could it be a stuck thermostat? that's all we can come up with. any other suggestions are truly appreciated.

THANK YOU!
Old 30 Sep 2009, 09:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: stuck thermostat?

How many miles?

Water pump. DO a pressure test.

Stuck thermostat is possible and very easy to remove to see.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 09:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm at about 88500 miles. How do I do that kind of test? Can a mechanic do it?

I'm very clueless as to what to do and I'm hoping I can get some help here and hopefully it will work.

THANKS!
Old 01 Oct 2009, 07:09 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by supgrrl View Post
I'm at about 88500 miles. How do I do that kind of test? Can a mechanic do it?

I'm very clueless as to what to do and I'm hoping I can get some help here and hopefully it will work.

THANKS!
Is your fan coming on? It should cycle on and off while idling.

If never done before - the water pump tends to go around your mileage. Symptoms are overheating, and a slow coolant leak on the passenger side. SOme don't leak unless the car is on. One way to tell is to park the car on a piece of cardboard or paper. If the seal on the water pump has worn and is leaking - you'll see evidence of the leak on the cardboard.

Stuck thermo is quite easy, if you look to the "tech and performance" forum you can download for free, a service manual detailing how to get it out (plus every other possible job on the PT)

A pressure test is where a mech attaches a pressure gauge in place and runs the car. You should get a decent amount of pressure. Yes a mechanic can easily do this test. Your best bet may be to take it in for a "free quote".

Don't be surprised - the water pump is one of the more challenging jobs on this car. WHile you are at it, you are also due for the timing belt to break. It usually lasts about 90k miles. If it is indeed the water pump, you'll save money in the long run by preemptively replacing it, the water pump and tensioner.

Last edited by bobdole369; 01 Oct 2009 at 07:12 am.
Old 01 Oct 2009, 07:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's some reading for you
Overheating AGAIN!!!!! Dammit

If it is thermostat, it'll overheat quite quickly.
Other things, like leaks, take a while.
A good mechanic should be able to isolate it fairly quickly.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles