Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
180 HP Turbo Engine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Sep 2003, 04:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 180 HP Turbo Engine

Any one have any info on this engine. Is it the same engine as the GT, BUT detuned????
Old 25 Sep 2003, 11:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to midnight03

yep, I think it has less psi
Crane Firwires
Old 25 Sep 2003, 11:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

It's the stock engine of the 150 HP car, not the one in the PT GT, that was reworked for the added stress, the 180 HP engine wouldn't stand the boost that the 215 HP engine holds, that means, it's not the exact same engine though. Some components were stiffened.
Patriot Blue 5-Spd, Stage I, Mopar BOV, BTG Intake, Custom 3\" Turbo-Back, Spring Mod, BTG Shock Tower Brace, Vogtland Springs, Koni Shocks, Eibach Sway Bars, Azev Type M 18x8.5 wheels, Ventus K104 tires, Projector Bi-Xenon Lights, Rear spoiler, Autometer Gauges, Illuminated sill plates, K&N Oil Filter, Mopar subwoofer. Mexico City. See pics: http://www.sportcarsforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=715
Old 26 Sep 2003, 12:23 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MEXICANPT

It's the stock engine of the 150 HP car, not the one in the PT GT, that was reworked for the added stress, the 180 HP engine wouldn't stand the boost that the 215 HP engine holds, that means, it's not the exact same engine though. Some components were stiffened.
That differs greatly from the info that 3barboost provided in this topic thread:

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...?TOPIC_ID=3972

Quote:
quote:
The 180bhp Turbo (Special Value Turbo internally) is essentially the same as the GT, but calibrated to run on 87 Pump octane. You don't get the upgraded brakes, wheels or suspension - and you're stuck with an automatic trans. It's a good intermediate step from the base engine to the GT - if you like automatics.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 12:29 am
Regular Cruiser

Chrysler Engineer seems to disagree:

Originally posted by 3BarBoost

The 180bhp Turbo (Special Value Turbo internally) is essentially the same as the GT, but calibrated to run on 87 Pump octane. You don't get the upgraded brakes, wheels or suspension - and you're stuck with an automatic trans. It's a good intermediate step from the base engine to the GT - if you like automatics.
Race Pipe and custom 3\" back, Eibach Springs, A Pods with EFT and Boost, MP Underdrive Pulley, 180 thermostat, Taylor Racing Wires, NX wet Nitrous 50 shot for quick spool/hp with msd tac drive and window switch, Mopar BOV, FIPK intake, APC Euro Tail Lite Kit, all badges removed.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 01:03 am
Cool Cruiser

I read what I posted somewhere, but I assume 3BARBOOST knows better.
Patriot Blue 5-Spd, Stage I, Mopar BOV, BTG Intake, Custom 3\" Turbo-Back, Spring Mod, BTG Shock Tower Brace, Vogtland Springs, Koni Shocks, Eibach Sway Bars, Azev Type M 18x8.5 wheels, Ventus K104 tires, Projector Bi-Xenon Lights, Rear spoiler, Autometer Gauges, Illuminated sill plates, K&N Oil Filter, Mopar subwoofer. Mexico City. See pics: http://www.sportcarsforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=715
Old 26 Sep 2003, 02:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

When I originally heard about the 'more affordable turbo', I thought like a true American male: Skip the fluff and give me the power!

Boy was I wrong.

Instead they make a 3rd motor for the not-too-spicy-just-a-little-bit crowd. It's like buying an Accord LX when you cudda had the EX for a couple bucks more and kept a satisfied smile on your face all day long. Prediction: The most popular color will be some form of non-offensive silverish earthtone.

So now comes the question: What kind of PT is it? More than likely they'll say it's a PT TURBO... but is it? No. It's an LX Turbo.
Old 29 Sep 2003, 10:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Stephen R.

When I originally heard about the 'more affordable turbo', I thought like a true American male: Skip the fluff and give me the power!

Boy was I wrong.

Instead they make a 3rd motor for the not-too-spicy-just-a-little-bit crowd. It's like buying an Accord LX when you cudda had the EX for a couple bucks more and kept a satisfied smile on your face all day long. Prediction: The most popular color will be some form of non-offensive silverish earthtone.

So now comes the question: What kind of PT is it? More than likely they'll say it's a PT TURBO... but is it? No. It's an LX Turbo.
Actually, It's a PT with enough power to get the job done (and maybe show off a little) without revving to 5 grand, for about 5 grand less.
Old 29 Sep 2003, 10:40 am
Cool Cruiser

Exactly...
Old 29 Sep 2003, 12:54 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The DCX are painfully aware of how much value they give you for the buck. (Has anyone found a cargo net in their new GT? That is what those hooks and loops are for.)

Imagine if it got out that the only diff between the new 180 and the "High Output" was computer programming.......Now you know why they are running like bandits to keep the aftermarket guys off balance!!!!!

WHY NO NEW ENGINE?---It would be much too expensive for DCX to :
A) Create a whole new build line to create a new engine
B) Have a different acquisition and assembly proceedures
C) Track and manage a whole new driveline package
D) Do specific quality and durability testing on a package that might only be 15-20% of the PT sales. (They do NOT want to have to deal with warranty!)

They have just reprogrammed the 215hp; timing, advance curves, torque and HP limits, fuel delivery.
!! -ZAP- !! Viola...MUCH CHEAPER 180 ENGINE!!!

This is the same reasoning behind selling you the extra HP that is already in your 215HP engine, just in reverse! It does make you wonder why they would go through all the DEQ on the 180 and not bother with the Stage I & II PCM ?

MB has been notorious for equating HP and sales price.....look at the Misfire; a restyled SLK with the outdated suspension and drivetrain (they jettisoned the old stuff this year because it just wasn't up to the competition). MB has limited the Misfire to a little over 200HP, while you can buy the SLK with almost 400HP in the AMG version.
P.S.(By the way the modified version has full warranty, imagine that!)

Why is Chrysler in such trouble, maybe it is the fact that their production is based on LIMITING value rather that increasing it!