Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil Sending Unit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Sep 2003, 10:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Oil Sending Unit

I'm getting ready to install oil pressure and boost gauges on the PT. Could someone tell me where the oil pressure sending unit is located on the 2.4?

Thanks.
Old 30 Sep 2003, 12:25 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

rocky,
These are the most important items not included with the PT!! Waiting for an idiot light to tell you that your engine is ruined is of very little comfort.
Personal story - I got an oil change at a quickie lube, the attendant (probably all of 18) had not checked the filter...you guessed it...only the oil pressure guage saved the engine!
Old 30 Sep 2003, 01:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Would agree Kirby--I've installed Oil Pressure gauges on every vehicle I've owned (if they didn't come equipped with same). Did you do the install yourself? I know I can find the sending unit eventually, but it helps if I know the general place to look.

Thanks.
Light almond GT w/5 spd, aluminum gas cover, 400-watt amp w/Kenwood 3-ways in rear, EJECT power button, custom dual exhaust, hidden trailer hitch, mini-flames by Streamline, mini-flames around windshield washer, \"amx\" turbo-up custom intake, Stage 1, BTG strut tower brace, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Custom 17x7 wheels.
Old 30 Sep 2003, 01:43 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I am using a mechanical oil pressure gauge from autometer. Here is a pic of the plumbing. There is an oil passage plug in the side of the head. It contains a square plug. Remove the plug and use a 1/8" compression fitting in the block. use a 45 degree angle and make sure that there is a gentile curve in the line before it goes into the compression fitting so that it goes in straight. I also wrapped the ferrule w/3M teflon thread sealer tape before installing into the compression fitting. It gets pretty warm there and the plastic tubing will be pliable when it gets hot. If there is any undue pull in the line itself the fitting will ooze. Also be sure to leave enough oil line to account for engine torque. The oil lone is the one that has the red silicone hose jacketing the plastic tubing in the picture:

Old 30 Sep 2003, 01:45 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The story was not about my pt. I am in the same boat as you, now looking at the same two guages on a pillar pod.

Thank you for the photos Gear Head!!![:X]
Old 30 Sep 2003, 05:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Many thanks, Gearhead--great pics! My gauge is an electrical unit. At the risk of showing my age, I would think that the oil warning light is hooked to a sensor already in place somewhere on the engine (how it worked in the OLD days). Is this an incorrect assumption on my part, since my preference would be to not have to purchase a sending unit unless I have to do so?

Light almond GT w/5 spd, aluminum gas cover, 400-watt amp w/Kenwood 3-ways in rear, EJECT power button, custom dual exhaust, hidden trailer hitch, mini-flames by Streamline, mini-flames around windshield washer, \"amx\" turbo-up custom intake, Stage 1, BTG strut tower brace, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Custom 17x7 wheels.
Old 30 Sep 2003, 05:11 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I am sure that there is an elecrronic sender somewhere, but my concern would be compatibility with the aftermarket gauge. We already know that the O2 sensor is not a wideband sensor, but I really don't know about the oil pressurre sender compatability. If the answer is to be had, this board is where it'll be!!!

Alan [}]
Old 30 Sep 2003, 05:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

You are absolutely correct, Gear Head. Your comment got me to thinking--did a search on the Performance Board and found the info. I'm going to have to learn to do more exhaustive searches before I ask questions.

As always, many thanks, guys.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 06:23 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

*BUMP* for nbr10
Old 15 Oct 2003, 11:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

[?] Hey thanks Gear Head,this explains what I thought mite be the place. I'm putting in a electric sending unit at that spot so should work good there.