PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
fan doesn't work but doesn't overheat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Nov 2009, 07:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default fan doesn't work but doesn't overheat

any ideas?

the fans do not run thru their test cycle each time the motor is started (had the hood up and watched/listened)

the temp gauge stays in the middle

the fan does run when the a/c is turned on

my Haynes manual refers specifically to relays mounted to the radiator on turbo models and I see 2 boxes that look like relays on the driver lower corner below the battery

think it might be the relays or the temp sending unit (where is it located)

thanks for any input, I did search overheating, fan, coolant fan, relay and couldn't find anything to help
Old 05 Nov 2009, 10:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: fan doesn't work but doesn't overheat

What is your problem? If it's not overheating! The fan shouldn't run when you first start the car unless the A/C is on and that's exactly what it's doing. What's the thing about a fan test cycle, where did you read about that?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Nov 2009, 10:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If the fan doesn't come on when the A/C is on, it's only a matter of time before it'll overheat.
Usually it is the fan that has died.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Nov 2009, 10:20 am
Cool Cruiser

I think I read on this site about the fan test. My car has done it since the day it was new. About 10 to 15 seconds after starting the car the fan runs thru a low speed and high speed test (lasts about 10 seconds).

Anybody else with an 03 GT tried starting the car with the hood up and gone to the radiator and listened for the fan? I can even hear it with the hood closed and the windows cracked.

The problem is not overheating but the fan does not cycle anymore.

I'm not running the a/c but if I did the fan does work normally

Guess I have a super cool car, even after driving home from work and leaving the motor running for half an hour the temp still didn't go past normal and fan didn't come on once (I was outside listening)

Last edited by 4SPEED; 07 Nov 2009 at 10:25 am.