PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What is a Dampner?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Oct 2003, 05:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Tampa_GT
Default What is a Dampner?

My black Gt has been in the shop for 10 days in a row now, and 14 of the last 17 days because of a squeaking noise coming from the belts. They told me they are waiting on a dampner. What exactly is a dampner? I have only had this car for a month and it has spent more nights in the shop than it has in my garage; this is starting to drive me nuts. Reading some of the other post about squeaking belts nobody mentioned anything about a dampner so Im just worried when they finally do get it put on the problem will not be fixed and I will have to give my car right back to them.
[V]
Chris
Old 01 Oct 2003, 06:12 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Deleted
Old 01 Oct 2003, 07:06 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to macster

Tampa

The squeaking and squealing noise comes from debris that gets on the pulleys and the belt. In my case it was due to the way I washed my car, I sprayed water through the grill with a water hose. You can read my posts on this. The dealer should clean the pulleys very throughly with Brake parts cleaner and wipe the belt down with a clean dry cloth. If need be they should replace the belt. IMHO the tensioner per say won't cause the squealing sound, a dirty pulley or if the wheel thats on the tensioner is dirty it will cause the squealing sound. I happen to have a brand new tensioner that I brought from tthrift sitting on my parts shelf and a new belt which the service manager at the dealer gave me. T Thrift really didn't want to sell the the tensioner because he felt that it should be covered under my warranty, and to his credit it is. But thats another subject. If you need a tensioner right away, you can contact tthrift or I can sell you mine. I'm rather not sell mine, but I will to help you out. I will just turn around and buy another one. Its one of those things that I want to keep on hand. I can send you the procedure that the service manual calls out for you to follow in the repairing of the squeal problem if you want.

macster

Patriot Blue PTGT, Stage1, K&N Typhoon, 2.5\" Cat back exhaust, Sun Hyperground, Sun HOT INZAMA Hyper Voltage system, Adams Uppipe
Old 01 Oct 2003, 08:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tampa_GT

My black Gt has been in the shop for 10 days in a row now, and 14 of the last 17 days because of a squeaking noise coming from the belts. They told me they are waiting on a dampner. What exactly is a dampner? I have only had this car for a month and it has spent more nights in the shop than it has in my garage; this is starting to drive me nuts. Reading some of the other post about squeaking belts nobody mentioned anything about a dampner so Im just worried when they finally do get it put on the problem will not be fixed and I will have to give my car right back to them.
[V]
Chris
Chris, "dampner" is short for vibration dampner, also known as harmonic balancer. That is the pully on the crank. Yes, your belt is driven by it. Hard to believe that is causing the noise.

Larry Hoy
Old 01 Oct 2003, 09:03 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The vibration damper is the part attached to the crankshaft where the accessories belts run off of. Think of it as an all-in-one part not a separate damper pressed into the crankshaft, then the pulleys are bolted on to it.

From the PT Service Manual:

VIBRATION DAMPER

REMOVAL
(1) Remove accessory drive belts.
(2) Remove crankshaft damper bolt.
(3) Remove damper by using Special Tool 1026 and
Insert 6827A .

INSTALLATION

(1) Install crankshaft damper using Special Tool
6792 (M12 1.75 x 150 mm bolt, washer, thrust bearing
and nut).
NOTE: Lubricate the threads of the M12 1.75 x 150
mm bolt using MoparT Nickel Anti-seize Compound
or equivalent, before beginning to press the damper
on.
(2) Install crankshaft damper bolt and tighten to
136 N·m (100 ft. lbs.)
(3) Install accessory drive belts.
Old 01 Oct 2003, 09:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

I have never seen a damper go bad in a new car. I guess it is possible but I would ask to see the old part and show you why it is bad. I had a 75,000 mile old damper just START to go bad on a mustang but never a new one.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 01 Oct 2003, 10:09 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

To all you guys talking about the dampener. Sorry, but that ain't it. Its called an "automatic belt tensioner." Look on page 239, figure 1 of the 03 PT Cruiser service manual.

macster

Patriot Blue PTGT, Stage1, K&N Typhoon, 2.5\" Cat back exhaust, Sun Hyperground, Sun HOT INZAMA Hyper Voltage system, Adams Uppipe
Old 01 Oct 2003, 11:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by macster

To all you guys talking about the dampener. Sorry, but that ain't it. Its called an "automatic belt tensioner." Look on page 239, figure 1 of the 03 PT Cruiser service manual.

macster
Well that makes more sense. I couldn't imagine the vibration dampner causing the noise.[:I]

Larry
Old 02 Oct 2003, 12:31 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by macster

macster
The original question was "What exactly is a dampner?". Which is why many posted an answer to that question. It is possible that the service dept decided that the vibration damper pulley was out of spec and decided to replace it. If you look at page 240 and the chart, under the belt noise section, it lists 6 possible causes and solutions. From the information from Tampa_GT, it is unknown if or how many possible solutions have been already tried or eliminated (the automatic belt tensioner is 1st on the chart) before ordering the vibration damper.
Old 02 Oct 2003, 01:32 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Sci

Sorry, if I came across wrong, I was writing in a hurry. However nothing in that chart references or mentions anything about a dampener. It does however mention the tensioner and the pulleys. The troubleshooting chart does mention the causes and solutions for repairing belt squeal, squeak and rumble. (Which will be covered under your warranty) "IF" they are talking dampener then I would be scared. IMHO the tensioner and a dampener are very different in this case.

http://members.cox.net/blkmacster/Ma...T/images/belts

humbly

macster