Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Check Engine Light Flashing on acceleration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Nov 2009, 01:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Check Engine Light Flashing on acceleration

Help! I have a 2005 PT Cruiser Turbo High Output. When passing and accelerating the car coughs and the check engine light starts flashing. When I let off the accelerator the check engine quits flashing. There are no codes when checked. Any one know what might cause the problem?

Thanks for your help.

Paul
Old 25 Nov 2009, 02:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Check Engine Light Flashing on acceleration

Flashing light is more severe than steady engine light.
No codes? do you get "done"??

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Nov 2009, 03:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Took the car to autozone and had them check for codes. It passed with no codes. The flashing check engine light only happens on acceleration and it starts coughing then when I let up it is fine. As long as I don't accelerate quickly the car runs and idles fine.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 03:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

How many miles do you have on the PT? Has any recent work been done on it?

BTW: Welcome to the Forum!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 25 Nov 2009, 04:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It has 45K miles and just had oil and filters changed. No other work has been done.
Old 28 Nov 2009, 04:50 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Check your plugs, see if any are fouled out.

Wires could be culprit, as well as plugs not gapped correctly.

My '00 focus did this exact same thing for a mis-fire. if the misfire continues there should be a code coming up soon.

I would invest in plugs and wires soon.

227 HP and 281 TQ

new best of 14.56 1/4 mile on 7/25/12 still using the canned tune from my diablosport predator.

*Stage 1, DSP w/93 canned tune, 3" o2 housing, 3" FWDPerformance downpipe with cutout. Bwoody solid mounts. AMX1397 TTAB with K&n drop in filter and airbox mod. AMX1397 lower pipe and AMX1397 uppipe with HKS BOV
* stock nsrt rims powdercoated black, chrome pillars.
* 3 gauge pod w/ aem wideband, Autometer ultralite oil pressure and 30/30 boost, Mopar 8" sub.*

Old 28 Nov 2009, 05:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the information. I just spend the afternoon installing new spark plugs with the gap at .050 per Chrysler. The old plugs gap was .060 + and probably could have got by with just regapping them but with all the work just to get the plugs out I decided just to install new ones. When I finished the Check Engine light was on but I test drove it anyway and the car ran great. Remove the battery terminal to reset the check engine light and started the car, check engine light was out but did not test drive it again.
I'm going to drive it for a few days and see if the light flashes or come on solid. Again thanks and I'll give an update later.
Old 28 Nov 2009, 06:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Couldn't put off test driving after installation of the new spark plugs. When out got it up to 60 MPH and punched it like I was going to pass a car and there was nothing but pure power jump up to 80 MPH in a snap. Then I started from a stop and punched it and it started burning the tires jump right up to 80 MPH in a snap. No flashing Check Engine light nor did it cough or chock just pure power. Thanks to all who responded to this post.
Old 29 Nov 2009, 12:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Too late now, but a tech service bulletin said to gap at 0.040, and you should put in new wires... the wires go before the plugs.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 29 Nov 2009, 01:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Too late now, but a tech service bulletin said to gap at 0.040, and you should put in new wires... the wires go before the plugs.
Don, he has a HO Turbo, don't know if .040 was also for them as well as the NA. Definitely agree on the wires tho, anything but stockers.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar