PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Check oil light goes on & off when stopped at light

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Nov 2009, 05:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Check oil light goes on & off when stopped at light

2003 GT 65K When I stop for a stop sign or a stop light, there is a beep and the check oil light comes on. I was driving neighborhood streets with lots of stops. It seemed like as soon as the foot was taken off the brake to give it gas, the beep would happen and the check oil light would go on and off. Stopped and check the oil level and it was fine. When I finally got to a stop light with a longer wait, after about 3 seconds of sitting the beep and the light were going on and off repeatedly but at about 3 second intervals, not what I would call flashing. Drove it home and it did this on and off business in the garage. This is the recent work that has been done at the dealership.

5-20-09 60K service - trans flush, plugs, PCV valve, flushed brake fluid
6-15-09 60500 Intake Manifold Gasket replaced, upper induction service, throttle body service.
11-9-09 65K Car stalling - replaced intake gasket and all injector o-rings, thermostat, replaced front rotors and brake pads. oil change and rotate tires. Cable IGN 8036001 is listed on the bill but don't remember them mentioning that.
11-11-09 Dealership left the code reader plugged in from Fri afternoon to Mon morning while waiting for above parts and killed my Diehard battery. Dealer put in new 5 yr battery for free.
11-17-09 Down stream O2 sensor

It is safe to say I am not a happy camper. I2 this type of high maintenance typical for a PT Turbo? I am really getting frustrated and poor!!

Thanks for any help/ advice.
Old 28 Nov 2009, 05:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Check oil light goes on & off when stopped at light

I had this problem with our Chrysler Cirrus and found it to be the oil I was using. I found I can't use generic oil even if it states it meets manufacture specs. I use name brand oil and the oil light doesn't come on at stop lights. There is something else to make sure of is you idle isn't to low because it will cause the same problem. Don't know if this will help but it worked for me.
Old 28 Nov 2009, 08:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Cool Re: Check oil light goes on & off when stopped at light

Some "chain" shops want to give you 10W-30.
Chrysler calls for a 5W-30!
Check that too.

and ...QuickSilver 2.....the 2010 Couture Edition.
And....The 2005 Dream Cruiser Convertible....."My Chocolate Covered Cruiser".
Old 29 Nov 2009, 12:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome.
I hope you are using synthetic in that turbo!
Your dealer sucks - they replaced intake gasket twice?
Have you had ignition wires replaced? That's was probably your problem - and don't put in the trash stock wires...
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 29 Nov 2009, 08:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

11-9-09 visit - Cable Ign -- I think those were the wires. The receipt says 5W30 but not the brand but the dealer has changed the oil before and I did not have issues with the check oil light. Unless they switched to a cheaper oil to save money. The first time they did the gasket, the car was making a very very loud screaming noise and sometimes while waiting at a light it would shudder once but too quick to change the tach. The second time, the car was shuddering repeatedly at lights and seemed like it was going to stall and the tach was moving. The dealer did something, I think with water, while the engine was running that showed them that the car was taking in air from somewhere it should not have been.

Unfortunately the high quality / low sales volume dealer was closed by Chrysler and the low quality / mega center high sales volume dealer is what is left. The turbo makes me hesitant to take it to an independent. The next closest dealer that is not owned by this mega center is over 20 miles away.

Back to driving my trusty and dependable 97 Maxima with 181K and wondering why I ever bought the PT in the first place.
Old 29 Nov 2009, 09:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There is absolutely no need to take it to a dealer for an oil change - particularly if they don't put in synthetic.
Old 30 Nov 2009, 07:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

I usually don't take it to the dealer for just oil changes. But if it is close to the time for the oil change and I am taking it to the dealer for other things, like the brakes this time, I usually have them go ahead and do the oil while they have it. But anything that deals with the engine, I usually take it to the dealer because of the turbo.

But still wondering why the oil light is behaving this way and what does it mean?
Old 30 Nov 2009, 12:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Several folks have replaced the sensor - and that did it.
Old 02 Dec 2009, 07:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It's the oil pressure sensor.
Same thing happened on my jeep liberty.
Oil made it past the seal and started leAking through basically causing low pressure under idle just replace it and make sure the wire connector
didn't get burned by the hot oil otherwise you'll have to replace that too.

Jason
Old 06 Dec 2009, 03:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The problem was the oil pressure sending unit. While they had it they also noticed a fluid leaking and they replaced the solenoid pack for the transmission under warranty. It must have been a slow leak as the transmission fluid level was in the normal range. Better to catch it early.

Tags
oillight