Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
factory trans fluid color when new?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Nov 2009, 04:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default factory trans fluid color when new?

hi all -

just finished changing my trans fluid. i put 5 quarts of castrol atf+4 full synthetic (for use in chrysler vehicles) $$$$ and a new filter and o-ring. after a test drive and fluid check all is well.

my old trans fluid (with 55,670 miles) was a milky brownish color. the new fluid is red.

my question is:

since the old trans fluid didn't look that bad to me or smell burnt (just funky), what was the color of chrysler's factory trans fluid - when new?
was it light brown or red (like this castrol stuff)?

if it was originally red, then this trans fluid was probably - almost baked.
if it was light brown to start with, i probably did not have to change it, use a half a bag of oil dry, go through 4 rags, and ruin one decent t-shirt.
gt model, modified airbox with cold air induction, magnecor plug wires, tyc b/up lenses, chrome grille kit, retro 3d taillights painted steel blue, buick-style portholes, nomad chevy trunk trim, blue interior light strips, and massive turned down diesel-type exhaust tip.

Last edited by pppt03turbo; 30 Nov 2009 at 08:43 pm.
Old 29 Nov 2009, 05:00 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: factory trans fluid color when new?

I've never seen any color for tranny fluid than red. If this is an auto tranny and it was milky brown you have my condolences. 55k+ is way too long to change the fluid. For the auto tranny every 30k you should alternate between a full service flush and a drain and fill. If you have the auto tranny and you didn't do a full service flush then you just mixed old fluid with new. Even for the manual tranny 55k is is too long to wait for a change.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 29 Nov 2009, 06:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: factory trans fluid color when new?

appreciate the reply mean green and thanks for your condolences. you know, most people never change their trans fluid and filter - and most of those transmissions perform well past 100K miles.

life is too short and this car's resale value is too low to go to the trouble (and expense) of a full service flush, so i feel good about changing mine out - even though this preventive maintenance task was 25K miles past due.

keep on truckin'
gt model, modified airbox with cold air induction, magnecor plug wires, tyc b/up lenses, chrome grille kit, retro 3d taillights painted steel blue, buick-style portholes, nomad chevy trunk trim, blue interior light strips, and massive turned down diesel-type exhaust tip.