Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
'06 Plugs and wires??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Dec 2009, 11:29 am
Regular Cruiser

Wink '06 Plugs and wires??

At right around 11k miles our '06 PT GT started gradually running a bit rough at idle, I was told over at the old PT site that has gone away that this was an inherent problem due to the poor quality of the factory plugs and wires.

I replaced the plugs with Autolite Irridium enhanced plugs, and an aftermarket set of OEM quality wires which made it run great for anouther 11k miles then it all started over again!!

I would like some suggestions as to what to do with my situation now.....we really don't do much more that commute back and forth to work at 45-50 mph, and an occasional road trip at 70-75 mph but I don't want to have to change plugs and wires every 11k miles.

What are YOU using on yours??? Thanks!
Old 25 Dec 2009, 01:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: '06 Plugs and wires??

Not too many folks around on Xmas day to answer your questions. I'm here checking on the SPAM. Yea, even today they are working overtime.

The only things I can mention about your problem is that make sure your using the right gap on your plugs, about .032 to .036 for the Turbo models and step up one level to better than OEM quality wires as the OEM wires aren't worth a darn.

Use a decent brand of gas and once in awhile throw in a container of injector cleaner. Chevron TECHRON is a good brand of cleaner.

You didn't say how long your 45-50mph trip to work was. If it's under 10 miles make that occasional road trip about once a month to clean things up.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 25 Dec 2009, 09:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Red face Re: '06 Plugs and wires??

I've got both 2006 na and turbo.
The turbo only has about 12K, so I haven't changed plug & wires yet.
The na soonercruiser has 43K; I changed plugs & wires at around 30K.

Although running great, I think the non-turbo idles a little rough - shakes a little, based on RPMs. It's probably a combination of harminics within the engine compartment - seems to abate at around 800-1,000 RPM. I remember one other posts a way back; someone asking if you can set the idle rpm up a little.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 25 Dec 2009, 09:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Frank, my 2006 had a shake and at 500 or so miles I changed plugs & wires, never had a shake after that.

BTW: have you shoveled out yet?? Talked to the daughter in Piedmont, yesterday her husband & son drove to 50 Penn Square about 2 PM CST to pick up her daughter who works there. Took them 5 1/2 hours round trip to get home. They and others pushed cars down NW Expy. The cars are still setting at the end of driveway.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 26 Dec 2009, 01:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Plugs & wires are most common cause of bad idle, but after that, intake gasket, and injectors.
Try spraying WD40 or staring fluid along intake seams - if idle smooths out, it's intake gasket.
Injection cleaner may help.
The wires you used shoul fbe good for more than 11K.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 28 Dec 2009, 11:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: '06 Plugs and wires??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Frank, my 2006 had a shake and at 500 or so miles I changed plugs & wires, never had a shake after that.

BTW: have you shoveled out yet?? Talked to the daughter in Piedmont, yesterday her husband & son drove to 50 Penn Square about 2 PM CST to pick up her daughter who works there. Took them 5 1/2 hours round trip to get home. They and others pushed cars down NW Expy. The cars are still setting at the end of driveway.
Just getting the driveway finally cleared off!
My driveway is on the north side of the house. So, once you shovel it off, if it does melt a little, it only freezes to a sheet of ice over night!
We officially had 14 inches at the airport. Probably only 8-10 at the house. But, the 50 mph winds, drifting, and cold temps afterwards were the worst!
We did get out Sunday to see Avatar in IMax 3-D.....AWESOME!!!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 29 Dec 2009, 09:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
Just getting the driveway finally cleared off!
My driveway is on the north side of the house. So, once you shovel it off, if it does melt a little, it only freezes to a sheet of ice over night!
We officially had 14 inches at the airport. Probably only 8-10 at the house. But, the 50 mph winds, drifting, and cold temps afterwards were the worst!
We did get out Sunday to see Avatar in IMax 3-D.....AWESOME!!!
Glad all is well. Sounds like Santa was able to get to OKC with no problems, after all he did have Rodolph to guide his sleigh!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 12 Jan 2010, 08:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

I install the MSD coil and cable with irridium spark plugs and so far so good. My PT is a 2004 turbo with 65,000 miles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GetAttachment.jpg (46.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 12 Jan 2010, 09:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Should've saved the money for the MSD coil....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Jan 2010, 09:40 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Should've saved the money for the MSD coil....
hahahaha I know bro!!!! Is all good you still got time hahahahaha!!!!!