Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
HELP! I have a 1/2" steel rebar sticking out of my turbo charge air cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jan 2010, 12:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry HELP! I have a 1/2" steel rebar sticking out of my turbo charge air cooler

Help! My wife borrowed my 2005 turbo PT and came home with a thick 1/2 inch steel re bar rod sticking out of the Turbo Charge Air Cooler which sits on the bottom in front of my radiator & below my tranny cooler. One of the lines in the turbo air cooler has been severed by the rod. The car seems to be running OK , no engine warning lights , but I wasn't sure if this is going to mess up my turbo since I thought it works on Exhaust air pressure & if there is a leak in the system I would suspect it will cause eventual trouble. How improtant is this part? Can I drive with this damage or do I have to replace this Air Cooler. I am afraid if I go to the dealer they will tell me it's going to cost big bucks to fix - could I replace this or fix this part myself can it be recored or repaired like a radiator?. Any comments or reccomendations would be apreciated. Thanks in advance for your time.
Old 03 Jan 2010, 01:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: HELP! I have a 1/2" steel rebar sticking out of my turbo charge air cooler

That part the re-bar is sticking out of may be the intercooler and some turbo's run without one.

Intercooler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 03 Jan 2010, 01:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: HELP! I have a 1/2" steel rebar sticking out of my turbo charge air cooler

I don't think you'll cause damage, unless unfiltered air enters from damaged area. You will have less power, since some compressed air has to be escaping.
I'd find a junkyard and replace the damaged parts - any PT turbo will do as a donor.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 Jan 2010, 02:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
I don't think you'll cause damage, unless unfiltered air enters from damaged area. You will have less power, since some compressed air has to be escaping.
I'd find a junkyard and replace the damaged parts - any PT turbo will do as a donor.
Fix it. You'll burn up your turbo. There are turbo cars without one but they don't run as much boost as your GT does. Replace the intercooler ASAP.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 04 Jan 2010, 10:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: HELP! I have a 1/2" steel rebar sticking out of my turbo charge air cooler

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR RESPONSES! I found out my deductable is only $250 and this is covered by my insurance. My Insurance agent told me to go to the Dealer. When I took it to the dealer this morning- first they said would cost $1,100 to replace - when i bitched about it, the price dropped to just under $800. Once they found out it was an Insurance claim & I was only paying my deductable they raised the price again. Anyway I am getting a new one installed. Thanks again for all of your responses.