PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing Belt Was Just Replaced - Oil Warning Light at Cold Start Up ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jan 2010, 07:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Post Timing Belt Was Just Replaced - Oil Warning Light at Cold Start Up ?

I had my timing belt replaced a week ago as I have 60K miles on my 2004 GT. I had a private shop install an OEM water pump, idler Pulley and tensioning pulley, and a Gate Racing Timing Belt, and Gates Racing Accessory Belts. Yesterday my oil warning light came on when I started it after work (this was the first time this ever happened - and it was cold outside - below 20 F). I shut the engine off and checked under the hood and everything looked OK. When I restarted it, it went out like normal. The same thing happened today, but this time I just drove home with the light on and watched the temperature gauge, I got home without any problem. I parked the car in the garage (it's heated) and check the wire to the sender and it was tight. Could this be just a fluke that this is happening after the belt was replaced, or could something be messed up from the belt change. I just started it about 5 times in a row and the light went off as normal, but it is in a heated garage now. I have the 7 year 70K warranty, if itís the sensor, is this covered?
Old 30 Jan 2010, 08:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Timing Belt Was Just Replaced - Oil Warning Light at Cold Start Up ?

Welcome to the forum. First, not sure why you changed the timing belt as it easily goes to 100K without a problem and the book says 120K, but that was your choice.
The oil pump is in the same area as the timing belt, if fact the belt must come off to replace the pump. But it shouldn't have to be touched if you just do the belt like you had done.
You have checked the oil level right, to make sure it's filled? Was that the first time it got near that temperature, and are you using the right grade of oil for winter weather. That low of temperature does thicken up the oil and could cause the oil to take a few seconds to get up to pressure. Some owners have had the oil pressure sensor go bad so you can't rule that out.
On your warranty, I believe after the first 3/36 the rest of the warranty is for the powertrain only and not any of the sensors except for the oxygen sensors and they fall under the emissions warranty.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 30 Jan 2010, 09:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Timing Belt Was Just Replaced - Oil Warning Light at Cold Start Up ?

Synthetic oil in that puppy? You should.
I'd replaced oil sensor first for peace of mind.

PTCrew.com - Learn it or Burn it.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 Jan 2010, 09:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have lived in this area since the car was new, it was even colder a few weeks ago before this work was done. I only use Mobil-1 5W-30, and FRAM oil filters, although this last change I put on a Fram Extra Guard instead of the usual Fram Tough guard. The oil level looks good, and I did not hear any ticking (like the engine was starving for oil). When I drove home today I took the highway, and the engine temp stayed right in the middle of the gauge as normal although the light stayed on all the way. I am hoping it is the sending unit. With the belt change and all, and only when it starts in the cold, I was just wondering if something got squashed. I also had the A/C suction line changed (it was leaking near the crimped fitting), the transmission fluid changed (all 12 quarts of OEM Mopar synthetic), the transmission filter (4 speed autostick) all the belts, and the water pump (which actually had a slight leak that I was not aware of) and new Mopart coolant. You are right about the timing belt, my manual states to change the timing belt at 90K. I had been reading online and noticed that some of the GTís are ripping the teeth off the belts with around 65K on the speedo, I didnít want to take any chances. The idler and tension pulley both did have bad bearings. I love my GT so much, that I plan on driving until the wheels fall off.
Old 30 Jan 2010, 10:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You sound like some of us and also like your doing whatever it takes to keep the PT in the best running condition as possible. As you said, it might have been just a fluke but changing the oil pressure sensor will bring peace of mind and it does sound like that's the cause of the light.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Feb 2010, 08:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

This definitely is a temperature-related problem. Monday (2/1/10) I started the car after work (it was in the 20ís) and the light stayed on a bit longer than normal, then went off. On the way home I picked up a 5 qt container of Mobil1 synthetic 0W-30 and a new Fram Tough Guard oil filter and change them out. After work today the light went off right away, with out hesitation. This is the first time I have used the 0W-30. I will keep you posted and reply again when the weather gets back down in to the teens. Has anyone heard anything negative on using 0W-30 with the High Output Turbo?
Thanks for all the replies.

Jim
Old 02 Feb 2010, 09:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Taggert_LOA

yeah i two different GT's experience cam sensor issues related to 0w 30 oil. i'd swap it out asap. it's just too thin.
Old 05 Jan 2012, 06:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

02 Cruiser with 109,000 miles. I also had the timing belt, water pump, pulleys, and tune up done in the summer. Since then, when I come to a stop the idle drops when having the AC on and runs rough. I did receive an error for gas cap and vacuum. I replace the gas cap and had the light reset and haven't seen it since. Now that winter has come, and the temp outside is below 40 degrees. When I start the car in the morning I get an oil light. It stays on until I let the car warm up a bit and then restart it and then it goes out. The oil level is right at the full mark. I dont receive a dining though. Thank god! I dont see smoke, smell anything or have an issue while running. I just want to make sure my vehicle is safe. Any ideas about getting rid of this pesky light on start up?
I have been adding Nappa oil.
Old 05 Jan 2012, 07:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Trish. Two possible causes. One, it's taking the oil, now that's it's cold outside, longer to build up pressure so the light stays on; second, the oil pressure/sending sensor has a problem which a lot of owners seem to have. It's not expensive to buy but a little awkward to replace.

Old 05 Jan 2012, 01:41 pm
Veteran Cruiser

First, I don't know anything about turbo engines relative these guys.

I use 0W-20 synthetic in Neons ONLY for cold months-
It's been OK- I just take it very EZ.

That being said, oil pressure lights shouldn't stay on for more than a moment unless it's Northern Minnesota Cold-
Are you hearing tappets tick for that first little bit until they're pressurized??
If not, it could be switch as these guys have suggested, and that it's 'fun' to replace I do know.

You might try finding a wix filter- Sometime drainback seals aren't perfect in Fram, and pressurizing empty lube system will take moments longer, this is especially true in engines that have filter laying 'flat', as opposed to straight up and down (Small Block Chev, 2.0 PT engine)