Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
lifter noise when cold?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Oct 2003, 06:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default lifter noise when cold?

I have noticed that my GT's engine has been getting louder, sounds like the lifters or something, not a ping, but a tick tick tick sound.

this sound was there before any mods, any ideas?

Punch
Old 14 Oct 2003, 06:40 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

You may want to PM Gary about this. Here is the thread to look at:

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...hTerms=new,car

2003 Electric Blue GT. Mods - BTG lowering springs, Polished Blane hood struts and hatch strut covers, chrome door handle scratch guards, molded rear splash guards, BTG polished strut tower brace, BTG axle back exhaust, K&N drop in air filter with baffles removed, Royal Purple synthetic motor oil and K&N filter, Polished front and rear sill plates, Chrome \"PT CRUISER\" rear license plate frame, chrome door spear covers, Chrome antenna bezel, Get the BEST detail products from Gary here: http://www.perfectautofinish.com/
See my PT and mods here:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289059783

MY EMAIL ADDRESS: stephenlarson@adelphia.net
Old 14 Oct 2003, 07:18 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Here is the original post:

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...s,engine,noise
Old 14 Oct 2003, 08:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

My engine sorta sounds like this also...I'm not worried frankly as I can't say this is not normal. It's a large displacement engine for a 4 cylinder and it's therefore a rougher idle than my other car (6 cylinder Ford Probe GT). The only thing that concerns me is when I turn the engine off, it sounds REALLY rough...

LIP
Old 14 Oct 2003, 10:28 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

lip:
I hope your engine does not have the same problem that my 2003 GT had. However, at the least, I would recommend you take it into your dealer and have it checked out. If nothing else, this documents the problem for the record, which my be of importance later. My mistake was letting the problem go for six-months before having my dealer tell me "we don't know what the noise is but it shouldn't be there." My response was that this is not acceptable. I purchased a new car and didn't order the "mysterious engine noise" option! [|)] The rest is history, and, I am once again a happy GT owner.

BTW, I now have 1500 miles on my new "replacement GT" and I have not heard anything like the sound that was coming from the engine of my former 2003 GT.

Just my two cents. Good luck.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 11:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

HOLY BENT VALVES BATMAN! I musta missed this original post. [:0]
Mine USE TO have this same ticking. I thought it was a sticky lifter also. I WAS gonna have the dealer take a look, but got all excited when my stage 1 arrived and I forgot to have them look at it. I remember telling the wifey after re-installing the painted manifold, that it seemed to be getting louder. About 2 weeks later POOOF! Been 5 weeks, still no GT.
So flippin lame! [xx(]
it'll never be the same...
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 14 Oct 2003, 11:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

I've got to go to the dealership for an oil change. I'll talk to them about this. My car doesn't make a noise really...only when I turn off the engine, it's hard to describe but it sounds "rough" at the end when turning off...in comparison, my probe GT makes no noise when turning off...I'll also get together hopefully soon with some fellow PT GT owners and then I can also compare.

Thanks,
LIP
Old 15 Oct 2003, 07:50 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to macster

Punch

I had the same problem and took it in, the dealer changed all of my lifters.

macster

Patriot Blue PTGT, Stage1, K&N Typhoon, 2.5\" Cat back exhaust, Sun Hyperground, Sun HOT INZAMA Hyper Voltage system, Adams Uppipe