PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT GT Turbo crapped out, 7 error codes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Feb 2010, 05:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT GT Turbo crapped out, 7 error codes

Hey Guys,
This one is a little involved, it would seem. I have a 2004 PT GT Turbo, 60,000 miles on it. Today, out of the blue, it started missing and sputtering (check engine light came on)...didn't want to continue running...so I pulled over to the curb, plugged in my Code Checker and checked the codes. There were 6 codes found: P0032, P0038, and 4 others I didn't write down. After 5 or 10 minutes I decided to try to start it and see if I could limp home (about 15 miles). It started, I limped. About 10 miles into my journey, I'm sitting at a stop light and this pup starts backfiring like crazy, a minimum of 6 POWs. The car stalls, I coast over to the curb. I'm searching for change to call a tow truck, and at the last minute decide to see if it would start again. It did. I decided to try to get as close to home as I could, and on the way home I noticed my speedometer was no longer functioning. I make it all the way home, barely, and check the codes again so I could write them down. This time there are 7 codes found.

They are:
1 of 7 - P0032 H02S Heated Oxygen Sensor Control - Circuit High (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
2 of 7 - P0038 H02S Heated Oxygen Sensor Control - Circuit High (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
3 of 7 - P0501 (pd) Vehicle Speed Sensor - Range/Performance (This must be the dead speedometer)
4 of 7 - P0300 (pd) Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
5 of 7 - P0573 (pd) Cruise Control/Brake Switch A Circuit High
6 of 7 - P0032 (pd) H02S Heated Oxygen Sensor Control - Circuit High (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
7 of 7 - P0038 (pd) H02S Heated Oxygen Sensor Control - Circuit High (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
*What the heck does the (pd) thing mean?

Does this appear to be something I (Joe Blow) can fix, or is it a definite Dealer Service Department situation? You know, I'm 61 years old and have been doing virtually all my own car repairs for over 40 years, but this 'sensor control-bank 1 sensor 2' stuff is pretty foreign to me. I do have a 2000 page (PDF) manual for this car that's been helpful in the past, but when I did a search for "Heated Oxygen Sensor Control", it came up with nothing. That's why I'm turning to you Guru Guys. You've been a big help to me before, and I'm hoping you can give me some guidance on this.

Thanks very much for your time!
Old 11 Feb 2010, 06:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT GT Turbo crapped out, 7 error codes

First of all, #6 and #7 are the same as #1 and #2 so you only have 5 codes to worry about.

To me, it seems the only code that would have the computer put you into limp mode is the P0300.

Here's two answers I gave in older threads:

A misfire code in a specific cylinder (P0301-Cylinder #1, P0302- Cylinder #2, etc.) usually indicates a possible problem with a plug or ignition wire. A P0300 code indicates the misfire is random and moving around from cylinder to cylinder. The cause here would likely be something that upsets the engine's air/fuel mixture, such as a major vacuum leak, leaky EGR valve or unusually low fuel pressure (weak pump or faulty regulator).

...and from PT Do-It-Yourself.net:

A P0300 DTC indicates the misfire is random and is moving from cylinder to cylinder, but my concern is with the two other misfire codes. As you know P0301 and P0302 are for adjacent (1-2) cylinders. If two adjacent cylinders are misfiring, it's very possible that the head gasket between them has failed which could be a result of the recent overeating issue. Loss of compression means the cylinder loses most of its air/fuel mixture before it can be ignited. An adjacent cylinder leak will result in approximately a 5070% reduction in compression pressure. A Cylinder Combustion Pressure Leakage Test provides an accurate means for determining engine condition. Combustion pressure leakage testing will detect: exhaust and intake valve leaks (improper seating), leaks between adjacent cylinders or into water jacket, and causes for combustion / compression pressure loss. That's where I would begin.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 11 Feb 2010, 06:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks very much for the feedback, Crewzin!

So, then, is the P0300 error a lot more significant than the P0032 and P0038? Or does the 0032 and 0038 stuff contribute to the 0300 random misfiring? I guess what I'm asking is...if I addressed the 'Heated Oxygen Sensor Control' issues, would that clear up the 0300 misfire issue?

And how the heck would any of these things cause the 0501 Vehicle Speed Sensor error? That's weird, to me.
Old 11 Feb 2010, 06:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbohlson View Post
..if I addressed the 'Heated Oxygen Sensor Control' issues, would that clear up the 0300 misfire issue?

And how the heck would any of these things cause the 0501 Vehicle Speed Sensor error? That's weird, to me.
I seriously dought if clearing up the oxygen sensor issues would help with the random misfires but I'm not a mechanic. I just pass along what I've read, what I've found in searches and learned from working around vehicle for many years.

For your P0501 code:

From PT Do-It-Yourself.net:

Fault Code P0501-Vehicle Speed Sensor #1 Performance - A rationality error has been detected for no vehicle speed sensor signal detected during road load conditions.

Possible causes are:

Good Trip Equal to Zero
Transmission DTC's
PCM
Test Action Applicability

The cluster, PCM/TCM and output speed sensor all work together to calculate speed. The vehicle speed signal is taken from the output speed sensor. The PCM converts this signal into a pulse per mile signal and sends the vehicle speed message across the communication bus to the BCM. The BCM sends this signal to the instrument cluster to display vehicle speed to the driver. The vehicle speed signal pulse is roughly 8000 pulses per mile.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 11 Feb 2010, 06:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Man, I'm thinkin' I've got myself a MESS here. Darn.
Old 11 Feb 2010, 07:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm thinking the misfire would trigger the oxygen sensor, since there's more unburned fuel hitting it.
When were plugs & wires last done? Start there.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 11 Feb 2010, 08:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Actually, I replaced the plugs and wires about a year and a half ago, so that would be about 15,000 miles, approximately. But, I'll tell ya what...tomorrow morning I'm pulling those plugs to see what they look like. That's something I can do that has nothing to do with 'computer this and computer that'. Funny, I work on a computer all day long, just not a car's computer stuff. So different.

Thanks very much for the suggestion, I appreciate it!
Old 11 Feb 2010, 08:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Stock wires are crap - on both my PTs the stock wires started to fail at 15,000 miles...
Old 12 Feb 2010, 12:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

What wires would you suggest?
Old 12 Feb 2010, 08:19 am
Cool Cruiser

any wires will work better than oem. no need for 10.5mm racing wires used by nascar or anything get the napa's w/ a lifetime warranty.

you can have a compression test to check the head gasket.... or pull it apart and look. also check for a boost leak, the aluminum intake manifolds are popular for leaks and causing issues in cyl#4.

josh

crewzin&qsd- not stepping on toes am i?
50trim (2 Weeks)
Stage 3 (3 months)
Big Wheel Stage 3 (6 months) my Fav
Holset HX35 (6 months) 700whp turbo
Stock turbo its a daily driver now

I've done this once or twice before...