Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
temp gauge fluctuation & overtemp light & CEL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Feb 2010, 08:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default temp gauge fluctuation & overtemp light & CEL

2003 pt gt turbo, 56k mi. background: CEL came on, p0304 codes for misfire on #4 cylinder and p0116 coolant temp does not make sense. inspection showed an empty coolant overflow tank and dried coolant residue around thermostat housing. spritz from a water bottle indicated leaking lower intake monifold gasket. I replaced that and the gasket around the thermostat & refilled with zerex g-05 hoat coolant (old coolant looked good). drive 12 hiway miles, car was fine. restarted it and immediately pegged the temp gauge, chimed and lit the overtemp light. I let it cool for 3 hours and checked the coolant level (fine). started the car and in 2 minutes it pegged again, now gauge is going from cold to hot, like the ECU is cycling it, chiming, and turning the overtemp light on and off. CEL now illuminates p0117 coolant temp sensor voltage low. Car was hot, I turned the heat on full till I could park it. no air comes out of the bleeder under the thermostat. I stop, remove and test the thermostat, which is only opening 1/16" AND the bleed hole ball is stuck. got a new thermostat (tested the new one, it opens 1/8") then gutted the old thermostat as a better way to test and make sure an air bubble wasn't causing the problem. With this gutted thermostat the heater barely heats the car so I know the engine is cooler and will not be damaged, yet the temp gauge is still dancing around with overtemp lit. on the drive home. I plan on pulling and testing the sensor now, but is this gauge movement due to ECU cycling to exercise the sensor or the sensor itself? Could I be missing another failure point?

tom
Old 20 Feb 2010, 08:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Taggert_LOA
Default Re: temp gauge fluctuation & overtemp light & CEL

coolant sensor is bad. replace it. problem solved.
Old 20 Feb 2010, 09:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

AGREE
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 21 Feb 2010, 12:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Tend to agree, since you did do bleeding of air - which could also cause it.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Feb 2010, 12:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

new sensor solved the problem. BTW it is replaceable without removing all the stuff in the FSM, using just a deep socket and ratchet. Not much room to swing the ratchet though...may need a fine tooth one.