Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
My 04 Turbo Failed Exhaust System Test

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Mar 2010, 03:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default My 04 Turbo Failed Exhaust System Test

I took my 04 Turbo for is NJ inspection and it FAILED. The technician first said that it had an exhaust leak. I tried to let him know that this was how PT Cruiser Turbo version sounded. Unconvinced, the dumb bloke, and his equally idiotic manager would not budge. They looked under the car and informed me that my car had no muffler and that my dual exhaust was just straight pipes from the cat converter. They told me to go back to the dealer and have him address the lack of a muffler.

Well, this was news to me because I didnt know that myself. Is this typical of all Turbo? Was it an aftermarket conversion. As I purchased the car from a dealer that was a trade-in 2 years ago how would they be responsible? Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks
Old 02 Mar 2010, 03:28 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to IMIEIW
Default Re: My 04 Turbo Failed Exhaust System Test

I would at least ask the dealer about the lack of muffler? Is he a Chrysler dealer? Was there a current inspection sticker on the vehicle? If you have had the vehicle 2 years, where did you get your last inspection. I know this doesn't answer your question but these are questions that need to be asked. Good luck
Old 02 Mar 2010, 03:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

worst case senario you have to buy 2 mufflers and have a shop put them on... not having a muffler is not normal for turbo pt's.

as far as the dealer goes... the worst answer you can get is no, and thats the answer you already have so i'd ask away. Play dumb too, and confused

Josh
50trim (2 Weeks)
Stage 3 (3 months)
Big Wheel Stage 3 (6 months) my Fav
Holset HX35 (6 months) 700whp turbo
Stock turbo its a daily driver now

I've done this once or twice before...
Old 02 Mar 2010, 05:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sounds like exhaust I have - a BTG dual - no mufflers, has flow-thru resonators. Mine passed inspection.
Are you saying you failed for noise?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Mar 2010, 05:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Taggert_LOA

do yourself a favor. go to a shop that specializes in inspecting "tuned" cars. it's 65.00 and you get piece of mind. or you can try a different inspection station for reinspection.
Old 04 Mar 2010, 10:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the suggestions. I was talking to a guy at work who suggested that i should really let my wife take the car for the reinspections.

I will probably have to pay a little extra and take it to a shop for future inspections.