Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Thinking about getting a GT and have ?'s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Mar 2010, 12:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Thinking about getting a GT and have ?'s

Well I'm looking for a new car. I'm deciding between a 2nd gen neon R/T and a PT Cruiser GT. I have an older model neon so I know a lot about that model.

My question is about the differences in the '03 GT and '05 GT's. I know there is 15hp difference but are the '05s a better vehicle all together. I can't afford the '05 models but don't want to get the '03 or '04 if they aren't going to last.

Any insight would be much appreciated.
Old 06 Mar 2010, 09:37 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to IMIEIW
Default Re: Thinking about getting a GT and have ?'s

I'm sure some more experienced Cruisers will answer too, but the major changes took place in 2006. Most of the changes in the earlier were minor. 2003 with the turbo up to 2005 where a HO turbo was available. Basically the same vehicle except for mileage and service records. If the car was taken car of you will see it will last you for many years of Cruising..
Old 06 Mar 2010, 10:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

No significant difference '03 - '05.
In '04 they added a "turbo lite" - a turbo that runs on regular gas - GT needs premium.
No concerns over a well-maintained '03 GT. My daughter and son-in-law each have one.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Mar 2010, 05:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

The 05+ models have the composite intake. It flows better than the aluminum intake. Also anything 04+ will have the larger injectors. If you plan on a Stage 1 you will get the bigger injectors for the 03 with that and you can add the composite intake. I recommend both upgrades highly.

I would also suggest getting a 5 sp instead of the auto. The Getrag 5 sp is pretty bulletproof. The auto trans is weak. If you get an auto, no boosting in 4th gear.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 08 Mar 2010, 05:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Cruzer View Post
The 05+ models have the composite intake. It flows better than the aluminum intake.
Actually, early '05s still got the aluminum intake - it was a "running change".

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 11 Mar 2010, 02:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
No significant difference '03 - '05.
In '04 they added a "turbo lite" - a turbo that runs on regular gas - GT needs premium.
No concerns over a well-maintained '03 GT. My daughter and son-in-law each have one.
I must be the odd man out. I have an '04 GT and it has been nothing but one small head ache after another.
Old 12 Mar 2010, 06:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Actually, early '05s still got the aluminum intake - it was a "running change".
Yeah, I KNEW as soon as I posted that that someone would correct me
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 22 Mar 2010, 08:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

How have the PT's held up after 100,000 miles? I'm looking at the two cars linked below. The black one with lower mileage is real close to me but I love the orange dream cruiser.

Black, Lower mileage, closer: autotrader

Orange Dream Cruiser, higher mileage, lower price, Awesome: autotrader
Old 22 Mar 2010, 08:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I also found the following orange dream cruiser on craigslist, but it's an autostick. I'm really wanting to stay with the manual.

How big of a deal would it be to change from the auto stick to the manual? If I were planning on getting the Stage1 upgrade couldn't I get the '03 setup with the manual pcm and install a manual transmission at the same time. Would anything else need to be changed?

Pt Cruiser gt-Turbo DreamCruiser
Old 23 Mar 2010, 10:44 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonfighter View Post
How have the PT's held up after 100,000 miles? I'm looking at the two cars linked below. The black one with lower mileage is real close to me but I love the orange dream cruiser.

Black, Lower mileage, closer: autotrader

Orange Dream Cruiser, higher mileage, lower price, Awesome: autotrader
That first orange one is drop dead beautiful, but you will need to do the Timing belt and water pump right away if it hasn't been done. I love the black one also and with that one you have maybe a year plus before you should pull it apart.