PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Is a GT a daily driver?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Mar 2010, 11:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Is a GT a daily driver?

Hi, newbie here,

My wife wants to replace her 2000 Pontiac Bonneville with 111,000 miles with something that has less miles. She drives about 50 miles a day to work and back. Yesterday we saw a 2004 PT GT for sale with 24,000 miles on it for $9,000. We didn't know much about PT Crusiers at the time and didn't even know what a GT was nor did the woman selling it even mention that it was a GT. Anyhow, we drove it and it was a blast! I checked PT Crusiers on eBay for completed listings and the price seemed high so we said we'd think about it. About 30 minutes later we decided what the heck, just buy it. When we went back the woman's neighbor had already bought it. Since then we've been researching these cars and now realize what they are and why the price is higher than a regular PT Crusier.

While the GT is a very fun car to drive we'd like to know if it makes sense to buy one to use as a daily driver and drive it 50 miles a day. Are the turbo engines tempermental and need special tuning or maintenance vs the other models of PT Crusier? Also, what are some other good sites to check to find PT Crusiers for sale? Thanks for any help on this.
Old 07 Mar 2010, 11:59 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Is a GT a daily driver?

The GT is a very fun daily driver.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 08 Mar 2010, 06:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

I drive mine daily, and I've had it for almost 3 weeks now, lol

-------------------2003 Pt Cruiser Turbo 57k miles-------------------
Old 08 Mar 2010, 07:34 am
Cool Cruiser

Any car CAN be a daily driver, so if you want it to be... Just be aware that it requires premium fuel. A Turbo Lite does not.
Old 08 Mar 2010, 07:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the Forums.
Yes the GT is a daily driver - my daughter and son-in-law each have 2003 GTs - my daughter's is approaching 90,000 miles with only minor issues, her hubby's is also fine with fewer miles.
Be certain to put only synthetic oil in, and change the spark plug wires to a good brand of wires.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Mar 2010, 02:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the good comments. This looks like a great forum!

We found a 2003 GT online with only 17,000 miles but the owner said it's going to need front tires soon. I know the GT's are capable of spinning the tires and am concerned that it may have been driven pretty hard for the 3,000 miles that the second owner has had it. The first owner put about 14,000 miles on it and when he died he left it to his nephew who has had it for a little over a year. How do the GT's hold up under hard driving? Are any of the FWD components prone to failure?

Thanks, Chuck
Old 09 Mar 2010, 07:45 am
Regular Cruiser

Chuck,

Is this Cruiser an automatic or a stick?

The sticks shift will take a lot more abuse that the automatics.
Old 09 Mar 2010, 01:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It's an automatic. I'll probably invest in an airline ticket and fly out Saturday to look at it. Anything special to look for on a 2003 GT?

We're not under any sort of pressure to get one right now so would waiting for a low milage 2006 or later GT be a better option? We saw a gold 2006 with a 5 spd at a dealer in Houston and my wife really liked the online pictures. She can drive a manual without any problems but her daily round trip commute of 50 miles is a combination of highway and city driving and she's not sure about having to do all the shifting.

Chuck
Old 09 Mar 2010, 01:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Ask for proof oil was changed regularly - hopefully w/synthetic.
If over 50,000 miles, that auto tranny was serviced.
Trust your gut feel.
Old 09 Mar 2010, 08:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVirginia View Post
Thanks for the good comments. This looks like a great forum!

We found a 2003 GT online with only 17,000 miles but the owner said it's going to need front tires soon. I know the GT's are capable of spinning the tires and am concerned that it may have been driven pretty hard for the 3,000 miles that the second owner has had it. The first owner put about 14,000 miles on it and when he died he left it to his nephew who has had it for a little over a year. How do the GT's hold up under hard driving? Are any of the FWD components prone to failure?

Thanks, Chuck
i beat the hell out of mine. it's like QSD said, check for maint records or info, these cars can take it... cause i REALLY dish it on a daily basis and you would never know.

as far as the tires go, the stock RSA that came on the car are garbage and can wear out in 17xxx miles, i wouldn't be worried. They probably just didn't rotate them.

Josh
50trim (2 Weeks)
Stage 3 (3 months)
Big Wheel Stage 3 (6 months) my Fav
Holset HX35 (6 months) 700whp turbo
Stock turbo its a daily driver now

I've done this once or twice before...

Tags
pt crusier gt, pt crusier gt for sale, pt gt