Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
clunking 5 speed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Oct 2003, 06:42 am
Regular Cruiser

Default clunking 5 speed

Well my Gt has been in the car hospital for two weeks now for a trash slave unit...dc sent the wrong parts...go figure. My dealer's service guy has been super, he took several GT 5 speeds out and mine and they all had the same clunk just after shifting. he said they all had the same clunk...seamed odd to him , but if others on the lot do the same its normal. I guess what I could not make him understand is that it seams to be a normal occurence with GT of 2003. All I want to know is what it is? , then move on.
steve[:I]
Old 18 Oct 2003, 10:56 am
Cool Cruiser

I noticed the same...but I don't think this is necessarily normal. I will try and take an audio clip for 3BarBoost today.

LIP
Old 18 Oct 2003, 06:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

I think the Getrag is very picky about hitting the gates just right. Just a very straight up and back H pattern. Mine clunks when I miss the gate even a little. It's like the synchos aren't meshing rigth. Maybe shift forks or something.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 18 Oct 2003, 09:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

The gearbox feels great however...it is very tight...I still prefer my Mazda's gearbox, but this one is not bad at all other than this noise...
I didn't get a chance to do the audio clip today...hopefully in the morning.

Cheers,
LIP
Old 18 Oct 2003, 11:54 pm
Regular Cruiser

Well I drove my car home today after having the slave unit replaced... the clunking noise was gone, strange i hope it stays away. the tourqe rattle is still there when i hit the gas then let off, my ford trucks had hydralic dampeners bolted on the engine to reduce this. they look like our hood struts, wonder if a good place can be found to bolt on a couple dampeners?
[^][:I]
steve
Old 19 Oct 2003, 12:47 am
Regular Cruiser

found engine struts for neons, they are called mopar engine bobble struts which upgrade the orginals. havent dug around my engine much yet and never saw struts...has any one noticed them[:I]
steve
Old 20 Oct 2003, 05:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lip

The gearbox feels great however...it is very tight...I still prefer my Mazda's gearbox, but this one is not bad at all other than this noise...
I didn't get a chance to do the audio clip today...hopefully in the morning.

Cheers,
LIP
Yes the gearbox is tight, but I have alot of slop in the gear shift lever itself. I want to tighten that up which I believe I can do with some new bushings. And yes, I have the "normal" clunking noise as well, unless I hit the clutch, gear change action just right on the money.[8)]