Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
'06 HO runs a bit rough at idle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Mar 2010, 02:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

Wink '06 HO runs a bit rough at idle

Our 24k original mile '06 PT GT HO Turbo still runs a bit rough and even surges faintly at idle in gear (automatic) after replacing the plugs and wires with performance stuff.
we were using Sunoco 93 octane fuel, switched to Chevron 93 octane and that helpped quite a bit-(all our fuel here is 10% ethenol) and it ran fine before the switch to 10% ethenol.
I believe I read somewhere that some folks have turned up the idle about 50 rpm to help smooth this out......is this OK to do? and if so how do I do it?
Any other suggestions??? Thanks!
Old 21 Mar 2010, 11:28 am
Regular Cruiser

Wink Re: '06 HO runs a bit rough at idle

May be I should clairify: At 11k miles the engine began to run a bit rough at idle in gear, I had read about this and what to do, so I bought a set of aftermarket oem style replacement wires and new plugs, installed them and all was fine until 22k mile mark, same situation, so I bought the MSD wires, and more new (Autolite) plugs, installed them and all was better but not as good as before-(mind you we are now running gasoline with 10% ethinol so I think this has something to do with it-no way around the gas thats available-execpt on the other end of our town there is a station still selling ethinol-free gas-so I might try it.
So aside from that does anyone know to turn up the idle just a tad on an '06 GT HO Turbo engine? I'd like to try that.....it can't hurt, and I can always go back if I need to. Thanks!
Old 23 Mar 2010, 10:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: '06 HO runs a bit rough at idle

Do you have Air or defrost on? when compressor kicks it, it alters idle.
I know of no way to alter idle speed.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 23 Mar 2010, 10:38 am
Senior Cruiser

Were the autolite plugs the platinum plugs? They have issues with turbo's. I heard Chevron was one of the last to switch over.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 11:20 am
Senior Cruiser

You really can't adjust the idle unless you have a tuner system. I would check your vacuum for small leaks or some other cause. Have you checked for codes?
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come