Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
new pt gt owner with questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Mar 2010, 06:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default new pt gt owner with questions

My dad just gave me his 2003 pt cruiser gt with 89,000 miles. I drove this car when he got it new and it used to have alot more power. No cel on but feels like it bogs out under hard accelleration. Any info on where to start looking would be great. Thanks
Old 25 Mar 2010, 06:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: new pt gt owner with questions

Ask your dad when the last time the plugs and wires were changed, then go from there. If it's been awhile, you should notice a big difference.

Word of warning. You coming up to the 100K mileage mark. There's a major mechanical job that's recommended at that mile stone. It's the timing belt and water pump change and along with that, the belt tensioner and both drive belts should also be changed. Done by a Chrysler dealer or a private mechanic, it's still around $1000 with parts and labor.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 25 Mar 2010, 08:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It's dad's like yours that give the rest of us a bad name...
Crewzin is right - plugs & wires don't last - particularly the wires. Gap plugs at 0.035.
Also change the air filter - for about $45 you can get a K&N, which breathes better.
Also check the tire pressure - the correct amount is posted on th driver's door - low pressure = more rolling resistance - trust me, you can feel it.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Mar 2010, 04:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the responses. I have all repair receipts since new and the plugs were changed at 62k but no mention of wires and i havent checked the air filter yet. Im an auto mechanic but have never owned a turbo before and also he had the timing belt, pulleys water pump and hoses changed at 70k. It did have the pcm,cam sensor,knock sensor changed at various times. I just got it yesterday and couldnt even get it on a lift at work yet lol.
Old 25 Mar 2010, 06:05 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Check for boost leaks. Zip tie all vaccuum hoses and use t-bolt clamps on the intercooler hoses. The factory worm drive clamps suck and will leak.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 31 Mar 2010, 08:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry for jumping in on this post, but how many clamps do I need for my '03 GT? What size should I get and where would you recommend going for them? I'm planning a big road trip this summer and would like to make sure everything is sealed up before leaving. Thanks!
Old 06 Apr 2010, 10:41 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
Sorry for jumping in on this post, but how many clamps do I need for my '03 GT? What size should I get and where would you recommend going for them? I'm planning a big road trip this summer and would like to make sure everything is sealed up before leaving. Thanks!
the T-bolts you would need are 1-2.25 and 4-2.5 if your on the stock piping, if you have hard pipe kit like the AMEX kit you'll need 1-2.25 and 10-2.5

Nevin.
03 SRT-4 132k mi ported stocker and lots of other stuff

68 Mustang Coupe project fail!!

PT Less - ex wife took in the divorce 3/2011
05 GT Cruiser H.O. last dyno 245hp/283tq @ 15psi OCT 08
3 in intake, Stage 1 PCM, Stage 2 WGA, ported turbo@21psi, 682cc, 160 deg T-stat, Check valve, Ngk 4306 plugs, 10mm spark plug wires, 3in O2, 3in DP, 3in Y-pipe with E-cutout, 2.5 in catback exhaust, upper/lower hardpipes, HKS SSQ bov, block off plate, Energy Suspention MM inserts, NSRT hawk HPS front/rear pads, NSRT Drilled/slotted rotors, NSRT steel braded front lines, Mopar 26mm Swaybar, NSRT energy suspention swaybar bushing, NSRT energy suspention swaybar endlinks, APC Non-turbo strut bar, Black housing headlights, Tinted rear tail lights, Schroth 4 point harness, Perrin catchcan, 3 pod a-piller, boost guage 30/30, oil pressure gauge, volt gauge