Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
noob needs advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Mar 2010, 03:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default noob needs advice

Hello all! Im a a big noob and i know that i dont know jack...so please dont flame me yet. My wifes 05 PT is now my car and i am not satisfied with its performance. I was wondering if it would be possible (cost effective) to do a swap with a GT version...or am i better (or cheaper) off by to aftermarket parts?
Is there a ECU reflash device available? How about stand alone ECU management kits? Anyone in california tuning PT's over 300whp?
Ive been spoiled by my last ride, a 2.5L AWD running at 16psi.

I Have an 05 PT manual, bone stock. I didnt see much when i searched.. is the srt4 a good part doner? What year am i looking for when i rumage through the junkyards?
Old 28 Mar 2010, 07:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: noob needs advice

Welcome to the forums.
You didn't say, but the PT is not a turbo? Not much you can do without throwing quite a bit of money at it.
Best bet would be to trade and get a used turbo PT.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 29 Mar 2010, 12:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

I was wondering if i could 'swap' the needed parts from a wrecked turbo PT and make it work on my non turbo pt. If that is possible...is there another car make out there that shares parts with the turbo PT? It would help with the junkyard searches. Has anyone done anything like that? Im a noob and what little i know is about import mods. Can the ecu be tuned through a reflash or am i gonna need to splice wires with a piggy back system?
Old 29 Mar 2010, 10:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It's not that simple. the turbo connecting rods, for example, are forged to take added torque, the N/A rods aren't.
The turbo has a different wiring harness.
Anything can be done with enough money/patience, but for sanity and probably cheaper, look for a good used turbo and trade cars.
Old 29 Mar 2010, 01:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the help/advice. Shucks... well maybe i can do something about the handling if i cant get power out of this car.
Old 29 Mar 2010, 01:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

The car is what it is. As others said, not feasibly possible without spending much more than it's worth. Small changes can make small differences. Try new plugs, wires, Mobile1 5W-30 oil, new transmission fluid (all depends on mileage), cold-air intake or a K&N air-filter, check those tires and run a can of SeaFoam through the carb. You might squeeze enough out to make a slight difference.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 12:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Squeeze out enough? lol...not possible without a turbo or dropping in a different engine. Im not looking for 15HP gain, im after 50HP. If its not practical or its a total pipe dream then i will move onto other areas where i can get improved performance. handling and brakes are my next searches. Thanks 4 the advice people.