PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

ground wires from body to front struts?

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Mar 2010, 01:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default ground wires from body to front struts?

I had my pt gt at work today to do the lower control arm bushings and noticed a ground wire on each side attatched from the body to the front struts. They are both broken and i am going to fix them but was wondering why there is a ground there
Old 28 Mar 2010, 02:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: ground wires from body to front struts?

Along time ago, those ground straps were discussed and I read somewhere that it had something to do with the bearings. I know that sounds a little strange but I sure would like to find out where I read that and also find out how many of the people that had front wheel bearing problems had the wires cut or missing and vice versa, meaning how many of us with no problems (like me) still have the ground straps intact.

Well, a little search and I found this but it had nothing to do with the bearings:

The use of braided ground straps in key locations is part of the RFI and EMI prevention strategy on the PT. These ground straps ensure adequate ground paths, particularly for high current components such as many of those found in the starting, charging, ignition, engine control and transmission control systems. One end of the engine ground strap is bolted to the engine cylinder head. The other end attaches to a bolt on the top of the strut tower. As a precaution disconnect the negative lead on the battery before re-connecting the ground strap.

Also found this and sounds more like what I heard:

Make sure that your front strut ground straps are intact as these commonly rot off and can cause repeat failures. The factory was seeing some early bearing failures even though the lube in the bearing was still good. On close examination you could see pitting, actual arc marks, on the balls and races making them noisy. The current from road static charges and possibly poor engine to body grounds was passing through the bearing itself, greatly reducing its life. By adding ground straps and keeping everything at the same voltage potential solved the problem.

damo, 4drturbo and MillRat like this.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com

Last edited by CREWZIN; 15 May 2011 at 07:36 am.
Old 28 Mar 2010, 02:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I noticed these wires on mine last fall. I just thought they were something to do with the ABS, and since I don't have that I figured it didn't matter. I guess it will be on my list of things to fix

Thanks Crewzin
Old 28 Mar 2010, 03:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Its funny i have been a mechanic for many years and have never heard of a vehicle so dependant on grounds. This one in particular has had alot of electrical problems since my dad bought it new including the pcm going bad after changing the battery and odd dash light flickering that were all taken care of under warranty. I am going to reconnect the grounds and possible add some others as i have read some people here have done to eliminate the flickering headlight situation. I took a bunch of picturs today as i was doint the lower control arm bushings but i am not sure how to post them here so any info on how to do that would be great. Thanks for all the responses!!!
Old 28 Mar 2010, 03:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Those of us that did the Hyper-grounding, sometime made up something ourselves or bought a kit for around $10-15 on ebay. I bought the kit which consisted of a spider like center piece with a hole in it to go over the ground terminal of the battery and anywhere from 3 to 5 wires that went to different parts of the engine and body to ground everything together. I used three myself. One to the body, one to the small bolt that holds the Camshaft sensor to the engine and one to one of the bolts on the top of the computer. I've never had a light, computer or other ground problem but I didn't before I Hyper-grounded everything and I'm sure there's others that have never done it haven't had a problem either. I did it because of the problems other were having and for that little of expense it was better safe than sorry.

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/i...howtopic=32337

http://www.4grounding.com/

http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/CA...OD_p_5908.html
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 28 Mar 2010 at 03:25 pm.
Old 20 Nov 2010, 08:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

I noticed a large ground strap that looks like it goes to the back of the exhaust at the tail pipe/muffler is broken....guess I better take care of that.
Old 20 Nov 2010, 08:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's a thread from 2003 that explains about ground straps thruout the PT:

Ground strap
Old 21 Nov 2010, 01:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Crewzin is correct, when the PT is traveling at speed, even with the oil on the bearings they are producing static. The grease is a poor conductor, but a conductor none the less.

The problems with grounding get even worse once you hit the '06 models with the CAM buss. I wish they'd never invented that sh#t. Total PITA to work around. I'm currently having headlight dimming issues, and spoke at length with three techs at my local dealership, all three say I need to tighten up my grounds before investigating much further. Crewzin, thanks for those links, now I have more work to do...lol....

I would need my own forum just to list my mods!!!
Remember, a PT Cruiser is not just a car, it's a way of life!
LAUS DEO SEMPER

Please visit the Tech Docs Library and you'll find many of your answers!
Old 23 Mar 2011, 03:30 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Prevents radio interference, per FSM
Old 23 Mar 2011, 05:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
Prevents radio interference, per FSM

...yea, it may also do that.