Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
03 gt with bad alternator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Mar 2010, 05:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 03 gt with bad alternator

So while i worked today my girlfriend had my pt and by the way im an auto mechanic. She arrived to pick me up from work and shut the car off. When we went to leave it was dead. I checked the battery and it only had 6 volts. Then i hooked a jumper pack up and it started then died after i took it off. So there i am at work with no way home and a dead alternator. Apparently the pt gt uses a different one then a non turbo so it had to be special ordered and wont be in for 2 days. My issue is that there was no warning whatsoever, no warning light or anything. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this or am i the only one.
Old 29 Mar 2010, 05:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 03 gt with bad alternator

I've been around quite awhile and don't remember seeing very many alternator posts. All parts go bad sometime, as you most likely know from your trade. You just happen to have one of them.

Whats are some signs of a bad Alternator? - Yahoo! Answers

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 29 Mar 2010, 09:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacarc1 View Post
So while i worked today my girlfriend had my pt and by the way im an auto mechanic. She arrived to pick me up from work and shut the car off. When we went to leave it was dead. I checked the battery and it only had 6 volts. Then i hooked a jumper pack up and it started then died after i took it off. So there i am at work with no way home and a dead alternator. Apparently the pt gt uses a different one then a non turbo so it had to be special ordered and wont be in for 2 days. My issue is that there was no warning whatsoever, no warning light or anything. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this or am i the only one.
My sons Pontiac Gran Prix did the same thing a few weeks ago, he pulled in to get gas and the car was dead when he tried to start it, the mechanic jumped it and soon as he removed the jumper it died, since my son his only working part time I got hosed for the bill. He had no starting problem prior to that.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 30 Mar 2010, 06:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

I am going to work early to look into my problem more closely. I didnt sleep much last night as this whole event just doesnt sit well with me as there was no advanced warning. Im wondering if a bad connection either at the alternator or battery could be the culprit. Also i am concerned about the pcm. Back in 06 i was at my dads and his battery died. We went to sears and purchased one. I installed it and as soon as we started driving all the dash lights went crazy and it started running rough. We had it towed to the dealership where they determined the pcm was bad and replaced it under warranty.Is it a cooincidence that it fried the pcm after changing the battery? And are there any steps i should take to avoid this again. I am pulling the battery today to put it on charge in anticipation of putting the new alternator in tomorrow. Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 30 Mar 2010, 07:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

This might help but it's not a turbo:

Alternator Removal and Replace on 2002 PT Cruiser 4Cyl - Topix

As far as the PCM jump starting/battery replacement, yes I have heard of the PCM getting fried when wrong connections are made. Bad connection, a lot less probability but it doesn't hurt to look.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 30 Mar 2010 at 07:59 am.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 03:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well i replaced the alternator and put a new battery in as well as new battery terminals and she is back up and running great! This is my first turbo vehicle i am mostly into mustangs and not used to the 4cyl game. I was wondering how to know if its making normal boost or not because i was expecting more of a punch with the turbo.