Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help with radiator replace

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Mar 2010, 10:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help with radiator replace

Hey guys, I have been getting the little puddle of green and it's time to replace the radiator. I did a search but no result, does anybody have the process to do this? I know cars, I have tools, how hard is this to do? Will it take more than a month?
Thank's much in advance for any help!
Old 01 Apr 2010, 11:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Help with radiator replace

Read this thread over and see if it helps. There's 5 pages of information.

Radiator cooling fan

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Apr 2010, 12:18 pm
Young Cruiser

Also, don't use the green coolantunless you know it is approved for your PT. The PT has aluminum components. Using the improper coolant will cause a chemical reaction and eventually "eat" (corrode) the aluminum. Coolant for the PT should be HOAT (Hybrid Organic Additive Technology) approved.

Look for Zerex G-05 at your local Napa parts store. Some have reported that it's hard to find in some areas.
I believe that Valvoline makes a G-05 blend as well.

According to this thread below, don't use Dex/Cool.
DexCool Coolant

Last edited by NIL8r; 01 Apr 2010 at 12:23 pm.
Old 10 Feb 2011, 05:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok so I started trying to change my radiator. I got underneath the car and it appears there are high pressure air conditioner lines going to the bottom. is it a big deal if I break these open? If I do can I not just recharge the system once I get the new radiator in? Thanx!!
Old 10 Feb 2011, 05:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I think the radiator comes out the top??? mide did anyway
Old 10 Feb 2011, 05:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

That isn't the issue. I need to know if i can disconnect the AC lines without killing myself or my car lol.
Old 10 Feb 2011, 05:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

I think you are seeing the power steering lines going to the cooler that is integrated into the radiator and yes, you can open them up.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 10 Feb 2011, 06:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I agree with Cal Cruzer. They are cooling lines. You will loose coolant but it's not R134 so your not discharging the A/C.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Feb 2011, 08:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

Replacing the radiator does require you to purge the AC lines. It's easier if you just purge from the lines that are on top of the upper engine mount instead of trying to remove them from the radiator first. If you have an automatic transmission, the transmission cooler (separate) also has lines that run to the radiator.

I've removed my radiator two or three times in the past 6 months, and the service manual says it as well.

EDIT: And yes, you can recharge the AC system once everything is back together. MAKE SURE TO CAP/COVER THE LINES THAT ARE EXPOSED. You DON'T want any contaminants to enter the AC lines whatsoever.

Old 11 Feb 2011, 01:30 pm
Young Cruiser

I replaced the radiator and fan on my '05 PT Turbo Lite last winter. There was no need to discharge the A/C system. The condenser is a seperate unit bolted to the radiator. Just remove the screws and move the condenser a bit.

Check the sticky link to the rapair manual in the tech forum. Nothing there stating anything about the A/C being discharged.

Al already mentioned, the hoses at the bottom of the radiator are cooling lines from the power steering unit. Make sure you refill the fluid when you complete the work. I tried to plug the end of the lines with wire nuts when I removed them to save as much fluid as possible. IMO, it's not worth the hassle. I still lost a bunch of P/S fluid.