Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Runs like a scalded ape, but wont idle. 0300

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Apr 2010, 01:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Runs like a scalded ape, but wont idle. 0300

Hello folks, My wife has a 2004 pt limited w/ 2.4l turbo. It's got 100k miles on it. I just put in a new timing belt after the last one shreaded 12 teeth.

History.
I installed a viper auto start and it worked fine for about a year. The start is taking longer than before. I hit the start button, it doesn't start, then I hit it a second time and it starts and runs fine. This went on for a few years. Plugs and wires made a small difference, but not a lot.

About a year ago, on a cold start, she'd put it in reverse and it would studder then go. Here recently it started dying in reverse after a cold start. Wires fixed this problem, there was still rough idle (similar to running on 3 cylinders) and hesitation but, it wasn't stalling. After it warmed up and drove a while, it went away.

Two weeks ago she threw the timing belt. That was a nightmare. I got it changed out. Timing is exact. I even turned the engine a few times to make sure it didn't move. I miss the days of the timing light.

So, with knowing all that, I now have a full time rough idle. It starts and runs fine. Then about 30 seconds into it, the idle goes down from about 800 to about 700. After that settles down (45sec), it drops another 100 and "floats" between 600 and 700. The tach is not telling the whole story though. The engine is loaping like a 350 with a huge cam. It's hitting front and back of the torque struts. Up untill now, I've not had any codes. I have a 0300 multi misfire. I replaced the wires under warranty. Two were showing a lot more resistance than the others. checked the gaps in the plugs. .40, changed the coil just because it was original.

Symptoms, at idle its rough, really rough no matter what temp ambiant or under hood. The car runs great, strong low end, smooth top end, no hesitation at all. I believe it's the best it's ever run. While in gear, it tames the engine a little. While in gear and ac on brings the idle to around 600 with no flux. Problem is, you can still feel the varrying speed of the engine and the lights dim with every revolution. It's almost as though it's got a hot cylinder. It fires the hot one, which spins the crank faster and the other three spit or backfire. Not sure how to test for this.

Ideas,
Fuel pressure, but wouldn't it give a code?

idle servo thing on the back of the throttle body. It's been cleaned apears to be working. throttle body has been cleaned.

Vaccumm....I pulled off the vac that is on the top of the throttle body and the idle jumps to a respectable level. It still kicks at idle, but nowhere near as bad. Also concerned about splash lube or lack of with low idle.

stuck valve? It is time for an adjustment of the valves, They are starting to tap dance in there. if one is stuck, could cause compression loss but would make it backfire through the intake. (Thinking out loud now)

Low compression......no again, it runs really well. it spins the tires from a dead stop.

Maybe a sensor? Got no codes.....crank sensor, cam sensor, tps, o2 (I unplugged the top o2 sensor, reset the car and still had no change except for an o2 code)

Please help not sure where to go from here. I don't wanna put a whole lot of money into it. I really don't like the car, but I'm still upside down. The value is dropping faster than I can pay the notes. I need to get this fixed so that I can get my integra back from my wife.
Old 10 Apr 2010, 06:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Runs like a scalded ape, but wont idle. 0300

Did you check for a leak in the intake manifold gasket? If you spray starting fluid near it and it idles smooth you know that's the problem.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 10 Apr 2010, 11:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Did you check for a leak in the intake manifold gasket? If you spray starting fluid near it and it idles smooth you know that's the problem.
Tried that today, no change. I failed to mention fuel mileage has gone down to about 14.

I also tried pulling off each plug and all four times it effected the engine.

Any other ideas? Is there any way to put a timing light on it?
Old 11 Apr 2010, 08:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalinas View Post
Tried that today, no change. I failed to mention fuel mileage has gone down to about 14.

I also tried pulling off each plug and all four times it effected the engine.

Any other ideas? Is there any way to put a timing light on it?

If you put original wires in they suck so I would get a better set, also if you didn't put an original coil in some of the aftermarket ones suck and the original is good. And you can't use a timing light on a PT. Also did you change the plugs or just re gap them? If you just changed the gap than go buy some plugs and try them because it could be a cheap fix, and pick up a set of decent wires. Good luck

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 11 Apr 2010, 09:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
If you put original wires in they suck so I would get a better set, also if you didn't put an original coil in some of the aftermarket ones suck and the original is good. And you can't use a timing light on a PT. Also did you change the plugs or just re gap them? If you just changed the gap than go buy some plugs and try them because it could be a cheap fix, and pick up a set of decent wires. Good luck
Changed the plugs, wires and coil....all new parts. There was no change. I actually changed everything seperatly.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 10:27 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalinas View Post
Changed the plugs, wires and coil....all new parts. There was no change. I actually changed everything seperatly.
I shot my limited knowledge, maybe one of the really knowledgeable guys with turbos will chime in. Good luck. Just wondering we have another thread running with an idle problem caused by a broken motor mount, I'm grasping but take a look.

Old 12 Apr 2010, 12:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

You really need to check both your vacuum and your fuel pressure. Not by "seat of the pants" but with real gauges. You have to start diagnosing and eliminating and stop guessing at some point.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come

Tags