Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
misfire no cel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Apr 2010, 06:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default misfire no cel?

So today i was driving my daughter to softball practice and mt pt gt jumped a little at a stop. Then when i pulled away i got on it a little and it was misfiring and backfiring like crazy. Prior to this happening i put in 10 buck of 87 octane by mistake. I usually go back and forth between 89 and 91. The only other thing i did was pull one spark plug to check its condition about an hour before i drove it. I immediately suspected bad gas and put some 93 in to account for the 87. I went for a 15 mile ride and while its still missing some it seems to be getting better. Any ideas or should i assume it was the gas and see what happens? Thanks
Old 12 Apr 2010, 06:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: misfire no cel?

Any background info would be helpful. # of miles, last plugs and wires change, and mods etc.

Everyones first reaction is wires and plugs when this happens, just because the stockers are crap.

Do you have any dianostic tools? Vacuum gauge? Fuel pressure gauge?

edit: oh yeah, and I would stop with the gas dance. Just use premium. I noticed in another thread that you said when you put your foot in it seems to loose some power. This could be because the computer is pulling timing due to the lower octane fuel. Not that it knows it is 87 or 89 but it will sense engine knock and make the appropriate adjustment to timing (retard it) to stop the condition. This will kind of give it a "flat" feel.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come

Last edited by Cal Cruzer; 12 Apr 2010 at 07:00 pm.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 07:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

90k miles plugs wires and timing belt done 10k ago. No mods other than the k7n and air box mod. I am an auto mechanic and do have access to all the diag tools tomorrow. Premium aroung here is only 93 and the manual states not to use 93 but to use 91 which i have to travel some for. I am really leaning toward bad gas and the low octane as it was running fine before i got gas.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 08:25 pm
Veteran Cruiser

You can use 93. I know lot of guys running around on it. 93 should be fine and solve your proble. 87 or 89 plain sucks.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 17 Apr 2010, 07:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

I found the problem. I cracked a spark plug ever so slightly when i pulled it to inspect it. I replaced the plugs gapped at .40 and she is up and running great again