Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Turbo test

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Apr 2010, 10:30 pm
Young Cruiser

Red face Turbo test

i recently bought an 05 GT cruiser auto but i am not sure if the turbo is working like it should be. Is there any way to find out for sure if the turbo is working properly?
The reason i am wondering is because sometimes it has a lot more power than at other times, and when i turn on the a/c, it becomes almost weak. It also feels weak at 3000+ rpms.
Old 14 Apr 2010, 06:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Turbo test

Sounds like it may need a tune up or you have a boost leak. 3000+ rpm is where you should REALLY feel the turbo press you into the seat.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 14 Apr 2010, 07:18 pm
Young Cruiser

So should i be able to really feel the turbo anytime it goes over 3000, or do i need to be really getting on it to feel it then?
i have rarely had it above 3000 because it seems more powerful in the low rpms(1900-2500) than higher, but the one time i remember definitely going over was when a car in front of me turned off going up a pretty big hill and when he got off i got back on the gas(~40 mph), it downshifted but was still sluggish, so i ended up giving it about half throttle or more, it downshifted again and had more power, and when it finally upshifted back to 3rd the rpms were about 3200. But i dont recall any great surge in the power when it downshifted either time, just the normal surge you would expect when ANY car downshifts...
Sorry but this is my first turbo car and i dont fully understand if it would need to be practically floored to really feel the turbo or if you can feel it as long as the rpms are up(in a lower gear like above)?
Old 16 Apr 2010, 03:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

Okay, here's the deal. Your boost is in proportion to the exhaust gases driving the turbine. The more exhaust gas, the more the turbine spins.

If you are not using the gas pedal in ANY car you aren't going to feel acceleration. Get out there and put your foot in it, or drive an NA car.

NOW PUT THE PEDAL TO THE METAL AND EXPERIENCE THE RUSH!
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 17 Apr 2010, 12:12 am
Young Cruiser

i have seen several people on here talking about having boost leaks if you didnt put t-clamps on the turbo hoses. Can anyone tell me what kind of clamps come on them stock and where the hoses are at?
Old 17 Apr 2010, 01:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_or_not_PT View Post
i have seen several people on here talking about having boost leaks if you didnt put t-clamps on the turbo hoses. Can anyone tell me what kind of clamps come on them stock and where the hoses are at?
They are on the intercooler hoses. The stock clamps are worm drive clamps and will loosen up over time. T bolt clamps stay tight and don't leak. Don't forget to zip tie all vacuum hoses, too.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 17 Apr 2010, 05:15 pm
Young Cruiser

Ok ill buy some t-clamps then, but in the meantime, would it work if i tightened all the worm clamps on the intercooler to see if it affected anything, or can they actually leak around the worm clamps even when they are fully tightened?
Old 23 Apr 2010, 03:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The best thing you can do right now is buy a boost gage. That way you will know for sure if you are boosting properly.
Old 23 Apr 2010, 05:11 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPHC View Post
The best thing you can do right now is buy a boost gage. That way you will know for sure if you are boosting properly.
To some extent you can tell a big boost leak, but smaller leak(s) not necessarily so. Boost leak test is only way to know for certain.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 23 Apr 2010, 11:13 pm
Young Cruiser

First, i am still wondering if it would work to periodically tighten the worm clamps or if the boost pressure can actually still leak even when they are tight?

Second, i checked the main hoses today to see how many clamps ill need to get(if i ever get the time to get them), and i think i counted 4 if i remember correctly. Please tell me of any i missed any: (1)hose connected to the air filter box (2)other end of that hose on the turbo (3)where the big intake hose goes into the throttle body and (4)underneath the front end under the intercooler, i guess where the big rubber hose connects to the intercooler, i could feel it but not see it so im not sure what it went to

I would also like to take this time to complain to Chrysler for not fitting a wonderful vehicle like the gt cruiser with a standard turbo gauge like the very similar srt4 had.