Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Best Run Ever!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Oct 2003, 01:03 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Best Run Ever!

OK, so I went downto Reynolds,GA to Silver Dollar Raceway tonite. I was the only PT there,infact the only front-drive MoPar,save for a busted-up looking Neon coupe running 17s.
I arrived with about 3/8 a tank of Chevron Supreme. My race weight, including me, was 3350 lbs.
I made about 5 runs total during the evening, and into the night.I'll just give you the best one though.
My only mod is that I removed both of the silencers in the airbox.

Weight Savings:
I removed both rear seats, spare,floor mats,under-seat tray, and anything else I could.

In addition to the silencers, I removed the rear weatherstripping on my way there, just for kicks.

I ran as I did last time, but without an ice-down of the intake, ran a 15.12 to start, so I was pleased.

For the next round I lowered the air-pressure in the front tires to 25PSI, turned TRAC off, in A/S mode, and launched at 1500RPM.Disconnected the Negative battery post to reset the PCM (thus setting it into 'learning mode'). I went around the water box, and did a full-throttle short launch to haze the tires, then another shorter one to see if they grabbed at all.
This netted me a 14.944@90.18 with a 2.184 60'. I was very happy to have broken into the 14s with virtually no real mods.Track announcers said I was the fastest PT they had seen (must not be a lot of them ever there).
One cool part about it was that I still had the paper filter in place.
Anywho, for the best run, I had the tires in the front at 25PSI, same short hazing of the tires.Rear tires at 50PSI, removed the filter, but left the air-hat, iced down the intake for about 45 minutes, had the heat blowing on full, TRAC off, A/S mode, and launched at 1500RPM.
This combo gave me the following results:

R/T: .627 (sucks)
60': 2.207
330: 6.170
1/8: 9.490
MPH: 73.02
1000: 12.382
1/4: 14.818
MPH: 92.35

I was *really* happy, to say the least. The car pulled hard all the way to redline with no more miss. I was exstatic because I really haven't done anything to the car.

Just a note: I just had the PCM replaced in the car under the TSB regarding the high-rpm miss about a week ago, so I don't know if it was the lack of the miss alone that contributed, or if the overall programming is slightly more aggressive.Just something to consider.

Also, I remembered on my Dakotas that disconnecting the battery and forcing the PCM into 'Learning Mode' would sometimes allow it to be more flexible and forgiving with fuel,etc, and it seems to have worked, if only slightly.

The car also now has 11k miles on it, and a little mileage usually gives you a little on a new vehicle.

All I can say is that I was just really happy with the car, and I look forward to seeing what she can do when I actually spend money on her,lol!

You guys and gals in the area need to get your butts over there with me sometime!!!

Interesting things at the races included a guy running a 2002 Chevy 2500 Crew-Cab Deisel and running a best ET of 13.14! The race weight of the truck was over 7300 pounds!!
WRX ran a 12.72 for fastest rice-burner.
A guy in a mid-80s Mustang hatchback hooked up so hard that his front wheels were *at least* 5 feet off the ground, then the torque pulled the car to the right lane, nearly kissing the wall. He did this twice during the night.
Oh, I raced a late-model Lightning and it wasn't as one-sided as i thought it would be. He ran a 13.609 to my 14.836.

I now know I want a set of drag slicks to get the 60' times under 2 seconds!

OK, I'm stoked. The car gets clay *and* wax tomorrow!

Anyone going to the Garlits show in Ocala wanna try and swing by Gainesville on Friday and make some passes?

PeAcE!
Old 26 Oct 2003, 09:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to sakigt

Holy foshizzle! LOL. I need to delete my thread now.

Very nice! I forgot to lower the pressure in the tires. Next time i go out my buddy with a neon has drag radials he said I could borrow. Score!

Very sweet! Hey, you need a K&N for the turbo? I have my old one Ill give to you at the show next week. Now you have incentive to find me. []

14.67 @ 94.5 <--- Self Proclaimed Fastest East Coast PT with Black wheels!!!
Old 26 Oct 2003, 10:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thanks, Saki, but who knows.....maybe I just got lucky last night,although I did also have a 14.83 and a 14.94 run.Maybe the cooler weather.One big thing that I do is ice down the engine between runs, and as soon as the ice melts, I race.If you let it sit there for too long, the heat in the bottom-end will seep back up to the top-side.
I'll try and bring an EZ-Up tent from work, so if you see a yellow tent with a Hella logo, that's me.I should find you anyway, since I'll be looking at everything there, and paying close attention to turbo Neons and PTs for ideas and advice.
Where is everyone staying down there? I'm looking to hook up with someone to go with me to split a room.

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 27 Oct 2003, 03:04 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Geez triple jack,saki,pt dave,all in 14 's same week ! great guys !
\'03 Electric Blue 5 speed GT, addco oversize sways,wildfire strut bar,color-matched rear muds,xenon sides/\"crusher\",mirrors,b&c pillars,both interior consoles,b&m sport shifter,autometer ultralite gauges,Mopar STG 1 ,booger shift bushings,mopar bov,AMX turbo up pipe,Prototype turbo ucp, 05 intake, map clamp
Old 27 Oct 2003, 10:15 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to sakigt

Since Im going with neon guys (makes sense...were all broke ) Were just driving down sunday morning for the show.

Yea, I definetly need to cool down the engine and let loose some pressure in the front tires. Heck, maybe Ill be seeing 13s sooner than I thought. Finally sold the kit (most likely) so I see Stage I in my future. [:X]

14.67 @ 94.5 <--- Self Proclaimed Fastest East Coast PT with Black wheels!!!
Old 27 Oct 2003, 12:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

Hey, if I was close enough, I would do the same, Saki. It's about 6 hours for me though.

Thanks, FlashBak2!

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack