Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Boosting my Bad Ass PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Apr 2010, 12:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Boosting my Bad Ass PT

Can anyone help me? I have a limited edition 2004 chrysler pt cruiser non turbo. But, i want to buy the turbo parts and put them on. Is this possible? Will my engine be able to handle it? What are all the parts that i need to start buying? Any and all info will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 20 Apr 2010, 12:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Boosting my Bad Ass PT

Robert,

Been discussed a hundred times. Please take a look at the other threads in the Turbo and Tech sections or try a search.

Lots of cash and time involved plus the engine internals are different in the Turbo models to take the extra power. Without any build-up of the engine you'll be limited to the power of the Turbo Lite (180-200hp). You'll also probably need the computer and harnesses from a turbo model.

Take a look on eBay for "pt cruiser turbo kit" to see what's available.

Here's a kit (without instructions) to get you started.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chrys...Q5fAccessories

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 20 Apr 2010 at 12:34 pm.
Old 20 Apr 2010, 03:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you Crewzin, u obviously have a lot knowledge with the PT so expect me to come to you for a lot. But since boosting would b too much, what mods can i do that can unleash all the potential of this little beast?
Old 20 Apr 2010, 03:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, sorry to say, that answer you won't like. Start with the name of your beast. CRUISER. That's what it is and that's what it does best. Talking about the non-turbo model. The GT surprised everyone when it hit the streets and even though it's a little heavy, the 220-230hp gets the thing going and keeps up with small un-modded V8's.

You can give it a little pep, by either changing the air filter to a cool air intake without restrictions or doing a couple small mods to the stock air box. Get rid of the heavy restricted muffler for a flow thru type and the best thing is to keep it well tuned (plugs and wires). Even with mods it won't keep up with a GT but will keep up with 99% of the traffic in the lower 48. If you want a kick in the pants feel, either throw in a nitrous system or a couple thousand on a turbo and internal parts.

If you have that kind of money, your best bet it to trade it in for a turbo-model. Even the Turbo-Lite can be modded with a stage 1 or Diablosport Predator to make it run like a GT.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Apr 2010, 05:36 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Sorry, no potential for the 2.4 non turbo.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 20 Apr 2010, 07:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys, i am definitely going with the upgraded wires and plugs. Anything else you guys suggest besides those two, headers, intake and exhaust?
Old 20 Apr 2010, 07:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Nothing more than I listed above. They won't give you that "kick in the pants" boost your looking for but will make the PT respond a little better and run smooth up to red line.