PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Possible PT Purchase advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Apr 2010, 12:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Possible PT Purchase advice

Hi,

New to the forum I just need all of you to validate I'm making a good decision. I found a local Dream Cruiser series 4 yesterday. Pristine condition.
2005 HO Turbo (auto) with 60 k miles on it. They have been using standard oil. I actually asked that question and I'm a typical woman, know very little about cars. Also been using 89 octane gas. I will have a mechanic inspect it. Negotiated price is $8300. 60k mile service has not been done. The only "outside of the norm" work that was done was a recent replacement of the engine brackets for $275.00

Would love to know the following:
What does the 60k service entail and what's the typical cost?
In reading the forum, I saw references to Tranny problems on the turbo autos, would love more detail.
Does the fact the car has 60k miles on it and not synthetic oil or high octane gas has been used concern me?

Any other input or advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!!
CG
Old 25 Apr 2010, 08:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Possible PT Purchase advice

I would have a mechanic check it.

I would think they should have changed the trans fluid and filter. It probably should of had brakes including rotors and new pads by now. Also the coolant should have been changed or is due. Hopefully they have changed the plugs, wires and PCV valve.

Problem areas are LCA bushings, front wheel bearings.

Does the engine sound quiet? Does the AC blow cold, all the switches work?

Look under the oil fill cap on the valve cover, is it clean or all varnished up?

I just bought a 06 GT Convertible. I looked at a bunch and couldnt believe how many were really neglected. If the engine sounded stange and the varnish was present I passed.

I looked at one 05 GT on a used car lot with 29K. My 03 GT with 100K was cleaner and sounded better.

In any case you will probably find most people dont change the fluids other than oil. I am going to change the fluid in the 5 speed in the 06, will flush the coolant and change the power steering fluid(actually Chrysler uses ATF) with turkey baster, and will bleed the brakes. I siphoned the brake fluid in the reservoir today and it was pretty dark, dito the Power steering fluid.

Any how that is the way it goes with a used car, just take your time and find a good one and have your mechanic check it.
Old 25 Apr 2010, 08:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

Have a mechanic check it out. Was the engine modded in anyway? Did a kid own it, not all young guys but most will beat a turbo car into the ground. The auto transmission is a weak point with turbos, if you do get it I would do a full flush and gasket right away.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 25 Apr 2010, 08:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Car drove better than one I drove at a dealer. Engine was quiet and very sprightly, the car is owned by a retired couple (bought it brand new) and when I went on the freeway with it, he thought 75 was too fast. I know this car wasn't driven hard. He also told me if he were keeping it the next thing he would do is change the transmission fuel. So, I know I would need to do that and the 60k service. Just trying to figure out what the 60k service costs. Is it a few hundred or closer to 1k? My husband will change all the wires and plugs. He has all the service records I will ask for them.

No Mods. What gasket work should I be getting?

Thanks for the responses
Old 26 Apr 2010, 08:05 am
Senior Cruiser

I would scoff that PT up really fast, a good turbo like that is hard to find. I have to run to work but if you go to a Chrysler site you can find the exact listing for the 60k service. An original owner and a older couple is a good thing.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Dino; 26 Apr 2010 at 08:12 am.
Old 26 Apr 2010, 08:21 am
Senior Cruiser

Here you go

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Maintenance Schedule | Bessette Automobiles Inc.

Old 26 Apr 2010, 07:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. Called the dealer today and 60k tune up is $700?? Seems high to me? I'm afraid to go to an independent as I've never had a Chrysler before, wouldn't even know where to go. Anyone out there in the Santa Clarita Valley who has a good mechanic? I did give a deposit on the car and picking it up Friday, just wanted to check in with all you experts before pulling the trigger
Old 26 Apr 2010, 09:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoldburg View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. Called the dealer today and 60k tune up is $700?? Seems high to me? I'm afraid to go to an independent as I've never had a Chrysler before, wouldn't even know where to go. Anyone out there in the Santa Clarita Valley who has a good mechanic? I did give a deposit on the car and picking it up Friday, just wanted to check in with all you experts before pulling the trigger
Call a few different dealers, they have different prices. Some even have service specials on line.

Old 26 Apr 2010, 10:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

at 80k your looking at $1600 for timing belt, water pump, and tensioner.

turbo's need synthetic and gt's require 93 octane, these are facts... it may be a dream cruiser but i paid $8,000.00(ish) two years ago for a 2005 gt w/ 8k miles on it.
50trim (2 Weeks)
Stage 3 (3 months)
Big Wheel Stage 3 (6 months) my Fav
Holset HX35 (6 months) 700whp turbo
Stock turbo its a daily driver now

I've done this once or twice before...
Old 27 Apr 2010, 12:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

I thought it was 100k for the timing belt?

That's a steal on your GT, was it a convertible? The $8300 is way below KBB for a convertible that's fully loaded.