Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Slow PT GT?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Apr 2010, 08:25 pm
Young Cruiser

Unhappy Slow PT GT?

I have not had my pt gt long, but the reason i bought it was because when i first drove it, it was full of power, and because i had heard all good things about how peppy they were.
For the first week or 2, i could take off from a stoplight, just giving it a normal amount of throttle, and it would take right off, usually shifting at about 2600 rpms, and by the time i got into 3rd gear, the other cars at that stoplight were way behind me. NOW, i can give it the same amount of throttle, and it will usually shift around 3000-3200 rpms, while it barely keeps up with the rest of the traffic. Some days are better than others, but even on good days, it isnt as good as it was.
I have only had it now for just under a month and put only 400 miles on it, so i cant figure out what the problem could possibly be already.
Also, for some reason, it has always seemed sluggish in the lower gears, like one when im driving on the backroads where i have to slow down to about 35 for the curves, when i get back on the throttle, it feels like i need to mash it three quarters down to get it really accelerating again.
{It has 35,000 miles, no engine light, auto, 2005}
Old 29 Apr 2010, 12:25 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Slow PT GT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05PTGT View Post
I have not had my pt gt long, but the reason i bought it was because when i first drove it, it was full of power, and because i had heard all good things about how peppy they were.
For the first week or 2, i could take off from a stoplight, just giving it a normal amount of throttle, and it would take right off, usually shifting at about 2600 rpms, and by the time i got into 3rd gear, the other cars at that stoplight were way behind me. NOW, i can give it the same amount of throttle, and it will usually shift around 3000-3200 rpms, while it barely keeps up with the rest of the traffic. Some days are better than others, but even on good days, it isnt as good as it was.
I have only had it now for just under a month and put only 400 miles on it, so i cant figure out what the problem could possibly be already.
Also, for some reason, it has always seemed sluggish in the lower gears, like one when im driving on the backroads where i have to slow down to about 35 for the curves, when i get back on the throttle, it feels like i need to mash it three quarters down to get it really accelerating again.
{It has 35,000 miles, no engine light, auto, 2005}
New aftermarket plug wires and new stock Copper Plus plugs gapped at .040.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 29 Apr 2010, 12:28 am
Regular Cruiser

Or possible boost leak. Either way as per Mean Green do the plugs and wires.
2004 GT, 5spd, Stage1, K&N FIPK, Magnaflow 2.5" Catback, 3" O2, 3" Needswings Catless DP, Mopar BOV, NGK Iridiums, Mopar Wires, Aeroforce Interceptor w/wideband kit, Vibrant Catch Can, Prothane Inserts, AMX1397 upper and lower pipes, Plastic Intake, Hurst STS, S2 WGA, Factory Sub and now Alky Injected!
Old 29 Apr 2010, 11:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I'd lean more toward boost leak - check all your hose clamps.
Plugs & wires are a good idea, but usually give a "stumble" or pause when accelerating.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 29 Apr 2010, 02:29 pm
Young Cruiser

Would either one of those things just pop up at once within 2 weeks and 400 miles?
I dont know if you would call in stumbling or hesitation, but if i try to feather it around in first gear, it will act like im pumping the gas or something, but if i give it a good amount of throttle, it will act normal, but it wont jerk your head off like id think it should, it just accelerates gradually.
Maybe this will help narrow the possibilities down.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 03:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05PTGT View Post
Would either one of those things just pop up at once within 2 weeks and 400 miles?
I dont know if you would call in stumbling or hesitation, but if i try to feather it around in first gear, it will act like im pumping the gas or something, but if i give it a good amount of throttle, it will act normal, but it wont jerk your head off like id think it should, it just accelerates gradually.
Maybe this will help narrow the possibilities down.
Most people don't realize that a turbo'd car can easily have boost leaks. Boost leak(s) can be there and can get worse. At 35k I'll bet the plugs and wires have never been changed. The factory wires are junk and should have been changed out a long time ago. That, along with old plugs, could easily make the car take off sluggishly until you bury your foot. Until you know for sure none of these problems exist you can't go on looking for another problem.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 29 Apr 2010, 06:32 pm
Young Cruiser

I have heard some people on here say that the pt gt is supposed to have a little vibration at idle, and then i have heard some say they idle very smooth. Mine has a little vibration, enough to sometimes make the antenna quiver, but its not like its missing or loping or anything like that. the tach is perfecty smooth. is this normal or could it point to plugs/wires?
Old 29 Apr 2010, 08:52 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to IMIEIW

The vibration at idle is just the turbo wantin to go. Step on the gas and make her happy.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 09:21 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMIEIW View Post
The vibration at idle is just the turbo wantin to go. Step on the gas and make her happy.
That's what mine wants to do when the antenna quivers.