Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
04 turbo lite questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 May 2010, 09:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 04 turbo lite questions

I'm looking at buying an 04 touring turbo with about 60k on it. I would really appreciate guesses at the odds of me having to replace the turbo sometime in the next 40k. I have done some searching but haven't seen any indication of how reliable the turbo engines are. I certainly could tell in my test drive that it was more fun to drive than the non-turbo.

Also, I read somewhere that the turbo requires premium fuel. Is this true?

Thanks!
Old 04 May 2010, 10:30 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 04 turbo lite questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourlefthand View Post
I'm looking at buying an 04 touring turbo with about 60k on it. I would really appreciate guesses at the odds of me having to replace the turbo sometime in the next 40k. I have done some searching but haven't seen any indication of how reliable the turbo engines are. I certainly could tell in my test drive that it was more fun to drive than the non-turbo.

Also, I read somewhere that the turbo requires premium fuel. Is this true?

Thanks!
Turbo Lite uses regular fuel. The turbo engine is very stout and good for about 600hp. The Mitsubishi turbo is pretty stout, too. I know PT turbo owners and Neon SRT-4 owners who have over 100k and the turbo is fine.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 05 May 2010, 07:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Put synthetic oil in and you should be fine.
Only the GT needs premium fuel.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 May 2010, 04:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

the stock turbos last a long time.

exp. my neon has 110K+ mi on the stock turbo and engine, its spent most of its life Road racing, autocrossing, and off roading, and a small amount of time drag racing. the top 3 are what you would say are the hardest on the car/engine/turbo, drag racing is just a couple of sec no biggy. that lil stocker and engine can take one hell of an abuse.

dont worry it will last to the 100k mi like you want it to no problem.

Nevin.
03 SRT-4 132k mi ported stocker and lots of other stuff

68 Mustang Coupe project fail!!

PT Less - ex wife took in the divorce 3/2011
05 GT Cruiser H.O. last dyno 245hp/283tq @ 15psi OCT 08
3 in intake, Stage 1 PCM, Stage 2 WGA, ported turbo@21psi, 682cc, 160 deg T-stat, Check valve, Ngk 4306 plugs, 10mm spark plug wires, 3in O2, 3in DP, 3in Y-pipe with E-cutout, 2.5 in catback exhaust, upper/lower hardpipes, HKS SSQ bov, block off plate, Energy Suspention MM inserts, NSRT hawk HPS front/rear pads, NSRT Drilled/slotted rotors, NSRT steel braded front lines, Mopar 26mm Swaybar, NSRT energy suspention swaybar bushing, NSRT energy suspention swaybar endlinks, APC Non-turbo strut bar, Black housing headlights, Tinted rear tail lights, Schroth 4 point harness, Perrin catchcan, 3 pod a-piller, boost guage 30/30, oil pressure gauge, volt gauge
Old 06 May 2010, 08:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks guys. If the car checks out w/ my mechanic tomorrow we will probably bite on it.
Old 07 May 2010, 04:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourlefthand View Post
thanks guys. If the car checks out w/ my mechanic tomorrow we will probably bite on it.

Woo-hoo! we bought it. My mechanic is a little nervous about putting synthetic in it, as we aren't sure what oil has been used in the past. Are there any particular reasons I should be concerned about making the switch at 58K?

Thanks!
Old 07 May 2010, 05:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

In the old days (showing my age) "they" said not to change to synthetic oil in higher mileage cars because synthetic oil will find leaks that you never knew you had but with today's engines, the tolerances are so tight there's no reason to worry. Just make sure you change the filter at the same time as putting in the synthetic oil and let it drain as long as you can to get all the old oil out. After saying that, all that I've read says in a pinch, if you ever need oil in an emergency and all you have is Dino oil, it can be mixed with the synthetic with no harmful affects.

You might see an increase in mileage (1-2 mpg) and your turbo will definitely last longer

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 May 2010, 09:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I bought an '04 turbo lite last summer with about 52000 mi. I switched to synthetic at the first oil change. I checked the oil level after nearly 5000 miles, and the level was almost at the top. To me, the engine is the best thing about this car.