PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2005 PT Turbo convertible battery draining.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 May 2010, 03:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2005 PT Turbo convertible battery draining.

Has anyone been having this problem? We can't seem to figure out why this is happening. The car has about 55,000 miles now. It's been going on since last month. Sometimes the battery is completely dead, other times it's just not strong enough to start the car but all the lights and alarm work. Other times it starts up perfectly, it seems that if the car sits for over 24 hours the battery will be really weak or completely dead if it's over 24 hours.. The terminals have just been cleaned as well as the battery posts. ( The terminals had a good amount of corrosion ) The battery was replaced nine months ago by AAA and has been checked by a mechanic who also tested the starter and alternator all appeared to read normal. AAA came out for a jump yesterday also to see if the battery would fail and be replaced by warranty. AAA tested it twice and it wouldn't fail though it read low. We're stumped... as of about two weeks ago we have turned off the dashboard lights, cabin lights, and removed the #8 fog lamp fuse as well, and this problem still happens. We have a large amp in the trunk that is connected directly to the battery, which could be a possible drain. Also, the AAA guy was thinking that the stock alarm system could be a reason for this problem as well. Could this be a sign of a failing alternator or a bad battery? The car just had a tune up and is running fine otherwise. It's a great little car. Also the "check oil" light still comes on from time to time, and the oil switch has just been replaced to try and stop the problem. We change the oil every 3,000 miles as well. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by Deen; 09 May 2010 at 03:39 pm.
Old 09 May 2010, 05:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 PT Turbo convertible battery draining.

I moved your post over to the turbo section but I don't think that has anything to do with your problems.

First, does the AMP in the truck/rear section have an on/off light to tell you what's it's doing. If not and your directly to the battery that sure as heck could be your drain. Disconnect the AMP if you can to see if that is your drain.

Second, your starter takes more voltage than anything else on your car so it's reasonable that everything else works (radio/lights/alarm etc.) and you still wouldn't have enough juice to start the engine.

Third, even though it's been tested, when you start the engine, put a volt meter on the terminals and wee if your in the high 13 amp (even low 14 to see if the alternator is working properly. After at least a half hour drive or more you can test it again with the engine off to see if the battery has been charged and it should be somewhere around the low 12's to very high 11's. You need around 11.7 to be able to start the engine.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 May 2010, 05:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you It's my girlfriend's car. I will have to ask her about her amp. She has had the amp for 3 and 1/2 years without a problem before.
The testing numbers were very similar to what you described. The AAA person walked us through the testing he was doing twice.
Old 09 May 2010, 06:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Deen,

That's all I have. If it's been running OK (not draining) the battery for that amount of time, it has to be something else but if everything else checks OK then I don't know what to tell you. Do make sure the cables that attach to the battery are clean and no build-up of corrosion.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 May 2010, 06:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

We're quite puzzled. Yes, the terminals and battery are super clean now. Thank you for your input though. Hopefully we will figure out something soon.
Old 09 May 2010, 08:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Maybe you need a better battery, one that can handle the amp and whatever other extras, and still have some serious cranking power. I had a car that had a problem like this and it would leave me stranded places and it had a cheap but pretty new battery, I got desperate and went out and bought a really good battery and the problem disappeared.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 09 May 2010, 10:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you so much Dino. I have been talking to her about replacing the battery after all this.
Old 20 May 2010, 02:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My wife's 2004 PT had the same problem. It turned out that the On-Off switch for the Fog Lights was malfunctioning. The lights would turn on when using the turn signals....and sometimes, would stay on after she parked the car. During the day, she did not notice them being on, resulting in a dead battery. The switch itself gradually got worse and would turn on/off the fog lights intermittently. We got the switch replace ( not cheap ) and now the problem is solved.
Old 20 May 2010, 03:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for the information
Old 21 May 2010, 08:59 am
Senior Cruiser

If you had a meter you could hook it in series with the battery and see what the current draw is with the ignition off. Then start pulling fuses and isolate the load, also disconnect the amp.

With that said and you dont have a meter, and you mentioned the amp as an add on directly off the battery, disconnect it for a few days and see if your problem goes away.

Something is draining your battery and the only way to know is measure the ignition off draw or process of elimiantion.

Tags
2005, battery drainage, check oil light, convertible, turbo