Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New PCM results

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Oct 2003, 11:34 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default New PCM results

The PCM was changed today. It was changed under warranty and the TSB for the high RPM miss (TSB 1802903).

I went straight for the freeway for a test drive. RESULTS:

1. The shift points are changed. The car now revs slightly higher before shifting.
2. The car now pulls harder through the gears. They probably changed the boost levels so they don't fall off so far during shifts. The pause between gears is noticeably less.
3. The high RPM miss is GONE! I tried every gear at WOT and there is NO MISS. I tried rolling the throttle on easily and romping on it and I could not cause a miss. I started from a stop in A/S letting the car shift at redline and I had to back off at 90+. NO MISS!!!

Overall, the car runs way better with the new PCM. It will be interesting to see if my gas mileage improves. I've been getting 15 to 16 MPG in town for a total of 200 miles per tank. I think that the mileage should be better than that. I'll fill it up today and post my results later.

If your car is covered by this TSB, I advise you to get a new PCM installed. There are obvious drivability reasons to get it besides the high RPM miss issue.
Old 30 Oct 2003, 11:36 am
Cool Cruiser

GTSteve,

I totally agree. The new PCM definitely allows more performance out of the engine.

BTW I get approximately 20MPG (245 miles with approx. 2 gallons left in tank) with the new PCM installed and I'm a leadfoot. I run 93 - 94 octane from either Gulf, Shell or Sunoco.
Old 30 Oct 2003, 12:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Wish we had 94 here......but at leats we're not in places where they don't even have 93, lol!

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 30 Oct 2003, 01:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the post on the PCM, slightly off topic, do you think it's good to run 94 in the GT? I have heard the levels are that high because of other additives that may not be good for the motor.

Old 30 Oct 2003, 02:43 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PianT

Thanks for the post on the PCM, slightly off topic, do you think it's good to run 94 in the GT? I have heard the levels are that high because of other additives that may not be good for the motor.
I'm not an expert by any means. Maybe someone else can answer this question. I could only guess that higher octane is a good thing not a bad thing. I know, dumb answer I told you I wasn't an expert
Old 30 Oct 2003, 03:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

The Factory seems to indicate on 04's that 94 is the top end of the octane ladder that they endorse!
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 30 Oct 2003, 09:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

This Factory engineer says we recommend minimum 93 pump octane. Higher won't hurt anything, but you won't run any better either. Lower is fine too, you'll just go slower.

See my other posts on this subject....
Old 31 Oct 2003, 03:25 am
Fanatic Cruiser

After driving for another day, I am even more impressed than before. The new PCM has made an incredible difference.

In fact, I starting to wonder if I didn't have a bigger problem than I thought. The car runs THAT MUCH better than before.

If you have the stock PCM and your car is covered, GET A NEW PCM NOW!!![|)] You'll be glad you did.

In fact, I'm going to hold off on stage 1 till spring. No big hurry now.

2003 Electric Blue GT. Mods - BTG lowering springs, Polished Blane hood struts and hatch strut covers, chrome door handle scratch guards, molded rear splash guards, BTG polished strut tower brace, BTG axle back exhaust, K&N drop in air filter with baffles removed, Royal Purple synthetic motor oil and K&N filter, Polished front and rear sill plates, Chrome \"PT CRUISER\" rear license plate frame, chrome door spear covers, Chrome antenna bezel, Get the BEST detail products from Gary here: http://www.perfectautofinish.com/
See my PT and mods here:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289059783

MY EMAIL ADDRESS: stephenlarson@adelphia.net
Old 31 Oct 2003, 03:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 3BarBoost

This Factory engineer says we recommend minimum 93 pump octane. Higher won't hurt anything, but you won't run any better either. Lower is fine too, you'll just go slower.

See my other posts on this subject....
3BarBoost,
Have the Factory engineers tried the 7440 DPP from Champion?
I was one of the first to get the new PCM and have enjoyed the new zip since Aug. I know that there is some bad experiences using the 7440 DP plug from Champion on Turbo cars but I installed them the first of Sept (gapped at .050) and you can tell the difference! Better starts and most notable between 5600 and 6000 RPM, the motor seems to keep pulling! I would guess that the 'bad' experiences with the DP plugs have the been with the old PCM. I have not noticed any pinging as the gas here in Oklahoma (GO OU) is 93 octane. My mileage increased after the PCM replacement to 22-24, from 18-20 but no improvement with the plugs. I still only have 5000 miles on the car and have changed to Mobil 1, 5-30, all silencers are inplace and didn't make a difference on gas mileage when I removed them. The rest of the car is stock. Thanks!
Old 31 Oct 2003, 10:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Any definitive list on what cars are covered by this TSB? Mine is a 5 speed made Dec 02. I bought it in July. I have recently made many full throttle pulls in 2nd to red-line, and have not noticed a problem.