Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
My PT is sick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 May 2010, 08:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default My PT is sick

My 04 turbo Ho has been giving me fits. It started as I first saw the temp gauge starting to climb and it got to 3/4 towards hot so I shut it off, it started making bubbling noises. I waited about 30 min and took off the cap and it was low, so I got a gallon of correct antifreeze. Topped it off and got a couple of blocks the gauge was rising again, this contuned till I got home ( about three miles and one and a half hours later). My friend ( a mechanic by trade) told me it was probably the thermostat, so I changed it and it was stuck closed. The car was ok for about a week, now every morning it is low some fluid and I top it off, I smell antifreeze when I turn the heat or defrosters on. But there is no fluid on the floor and it only leaks out the overflow when it fills up the bottle as it gets hot.
Anybody have any guesses?
Thanks in advance!
Old 17 May 2010, 08:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: My PT is sick

If you check the tech & Performance section you'll see that we get about 5 new posts a week on somebody overheating and there's twice that many reasons for the PT to overheat.

Since your in the Turbo section you have a variable speed fan unlike the non-turbo PT's that have two speeds. When yours start to overheat is the fan running on high speed? It should be making a lot of noise, you can't miss it. Are you bleeding all the air out of the system when you fill it up? The coolant system is a closed system (no air) so the boiling point is a lot higher than the normal 212 degrees. If you have air in the system, it lowers the boiling point.

If you loosing water and have to fill it up every morning, the main thing to do is find the leak. A pin hole in one of the holes, a cracked head gasket, a hole in the overflow bottle? have a mechanic do a pressure check of the cooling system to see if you can find the leak.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 May 2010, 09:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the quick reply, The hoses look good, the fan seems to work, I can hear and see it going like mad.
My mechanic friend says it might be the head gasket, but why would I smell antifreeze inside? That's why I think it might be the heater coil. He wants $1500 to replace the gasket. Ouch!
Old 18 May 2010, 04:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

Before you do anything, buy a new radiator cap. This is the first thing that goes wrong. That is why you hear the gurgling sound, the seal is not holding the pressure and it is gurgling in the overflow tank. If this doesn't work there is plenty of time to spend more money on it. This is cheap!
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 18 May 2010, 10:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah, I replaced the cap when I did the thermostat. It was bad as well, had a small rip in the rubber gasket. It still needs water every morning.
Any body else have ideas and want to chime in.
Old 19 May 2010, 07:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

As was mentioned before, have the system pressure tested!!! It sounds like you are tossing parts at your PT and so far haven't found the reason for the leak. If you have a trusted mechanic to do the pressure test, you are to the good. I do not think a bad head gasket would give you the smell of anti freeze inside the passenger compartment.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 19 May 2010, 11:36 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to IMIEIW

Sure, do a pressure check first. In the past, I have noticed that when you start smelling antifreeze in the passenger compartment it could very well be your heater core. Pressure check should narrow it down. Good luck