PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 PT Cruiser GT Turbo

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 May 2010, 12:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 PT Cruiser GT Turbo

I find it amazing that folks on this board dont know that the 2006 GT Cruiser turbo was the only GT with the high output turbo built. This engine had a turbo that was oil AND water cooled as well as a beefed up block to handle the extra power.\
The badge on the back of the car said ..........HIGH OUTPUT.
Check my avatar..........

Any comments????????

Chrysler boosted the engine with a new cylinder block and head design changes, as well as a stronger crank and piston cooling by oil jets. The turbocharger, which could tend to overheat in the first generation GT, is now both oil and water cooled; it is integrated into the exhaust manifold.

There are, surprisingly, no dead spots in full-out sprints, with the apparently better tuned to the engine (or vice versa); the main limit to acceleration seems to be traction from the front tires, with full-out launches restricted by the traction control. 0-60 acceleration appears to be about 7 seconds with the automatic - good but not supercar; on the other hand, on the highway, you get about the same punch as you do from the stoplight. This engine doesn't need to be wound to 6,000 rpm to get power.

Last edited by KC2IFR; 26 May 2010 at 01:03 am.
Old 26 May 2010, 05:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 PT Cruiser GT Turbo

Bill,

I find it amazing that you answered a question that nobody asked. Please point out where somebody wanted to know the difference in GT specifications between years. I also find it amazing that it took 4 years for you to find out the differences in a car you've owned that long and now decide to share what you find out with the rest of us.

Who actually needed to know this information and what good does it do to the average person that comes to this forum with a boost leak or overheating problem that we answered a hundred times over?

I have to go out on patrol now. Hope to see you in your travels of 75-85 mph. Maybe we'll get to meet in person.
4drturbo likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 May 2010, 10:46 am
Cool Cruiser

I also find it amazing that i have a 2005 GT High Output and that my block is the exact same thing found in an SRT-4!! I also find amazing is how many SRT-4 parts fit on my High Output and that also fit on the turbo lites

ROFLMFAO

Nevin.
03 SRT-4 132k mi ported stocker and lots of other stuff

68 Mustang Coupe project fail!!

PT Less - ex wife took in the divorce 3/2011
05 GT Cruiser H.O. last dyno 245hp/283tq @ 15psi OCT 08
3 in intake, Stage 1 PCM, Stage 2 WGA, ported turbo@21psi, 682cc, 160 deg T-stat, Check valve, Ngk 4306 plugs, 10mm spark plug wires, 3in O2, 3in DP, 3in Y-pipe with E-cutout, 2.5 in catback exhaust, upper/lower hardpipes, HKS SSQ bov, block off plate, Energy Suspention MM inserts, NSRT hawk HPS front/rear pads, NSRT Drilled/slotted rotors, NSRT steel braded front lines, Mopar 26mm Swaybar, NSRT energy suspention swaybar bushing, NSRT energy suspention swaybar endlinks, APC Non-turbo strut bar, Black housing headlights, Tinted rear tail lights, Schroth 4 point harness, Perrin catchcan, 3 pod a-piller, boost guage 30/30, oil pressure gauge, volt gauge
Old 26 May 2010, 11:14 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC2IFR View Post

Chrysler boosted the engine with a new cylinder block and head design changes, as well as a stronger crank and piston cooling by oil jets. The turbocharger, which could tend to overheat in the first generation GT, is now both oil and water cooled; it is integrated into the exhaust manifold.
Surprisingly my 2003 has the same engine as your '06 as does every other GT out there. Come on over and I will show you the coolant lines and the oil lines. The block and piston oil sprayers were all part of the original turbo motor.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 26 May 2010, 01:55 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Whoa, all that started with the '03 GT although they did not put HO on the GT tailgate until the turbo lite came out so as to separate the two. The '03 GT had smaller injectors hence the 215hp vs the 220 hp for the next year's '04 GT.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 26 May 2010, 03:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It didnt take me all this time. I knew it the day I bought it! My intent was to see what u folks know about my info. I have not seen anything on the board about the "high output". I know Im not as smart as u guys but then again I thought thats one of the things the board is for.........to help others.
Old 26 May 2010, 05:35 pm
Banned

KC2IFR, Your coming on here with information that is WRONG is the only problem I can see. I am going to post here the story from 2003 to now in relationship to the turbo engine. They are exactly the same internally now as the first one that rolled off the assembly line in 2003. The only major changes over the years have been the addition of the composite intake and the changes in the pcm over the years. EVERYTHING else has remained the same. The turbos have always been part of the exhaust manifold and they have always been oil lubricated and cooled via the the cooler that the oil filter attaches to. They are also cooled by water hoses now and from the beginning. Since you didn't mention it, did YOU know that by installing the Chrysler STAGE 1 you can enjoy a large increase in performance over your "HIGH OUTPUT" PT?

Please read and learn!

Browser Warning

Jerry
Old 26 May 2010, 05:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

This is becoming a bit funny. The information I posted was from Chrysler.........if its wrong..........that was the point of my post guys.
I am not trying to argue or start trouble.....just explain to me why the info I received is either wrong or rite........no more no less.
Geesss..............
Old 26 May 2010, 06:00 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Now, now, no need to get excited. The info was wrong no matter where it came from and bad info from Chrysler is pretty much the norm.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 26 May 2010, 08:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
KC2IFR, Your coming on here with information that is WRONG is the only problem I can see. I am going to post here the story from 2003 to now in relationship to the turbo engine. They are exactly the same internally now as the first one that rolled off the assembly line in 2003. The only major changes over the years have been the addition of the composite intake and the changes in the pcm over the years. EVERYTHING else has remained the same. The turbos have always been part of the exhaust manifold and they have always been oil lubricated and cooled via the the cooler that the oil filter attaches to. They are also cooled by water hoses now and from the beginning. Since you didn't mention it, did YOU know that by installing the Chrysler STAGE 1 you can enjoy a large increase in performance over your "HIGH OUTPUT" PT?

Please read and learn!

Browser Warning

Jerry
Nice link Jerry, very educational.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson