PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

fuel pump help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jun 2010, 02:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default fuel pump help

hi everyone im new to the forum. I have a turbo cruiser, and my wife has a convertible turbo cruiser. Recently it started lacking power and sounded like there was almost no spooling up. After trying the engine code procedure it came out clear everytime saying "done". So.. we took it to the dealership and they are saying that its going to need a new fuel pump and itll be $800. The car has around 60,000 miles on it and this whole issue started to happen the day we receieved it back from the dealer for a malfunctioned timing belt. It seems odd, what would you guys recoomend, maybe a fuel pump relay?
Old 07 Jun 2010, 03:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: fuel pump help

Nobody here is going to recommend a fuel pump relay when it's been diagnosed as being a bad fuel pump. Did they happen to mentioned what happened to the pump? Did yo know by driving the PT with less than 1/4 tank of gas can burn out the pump? The gas in the tank (that's where the pump is located) not only cools off the pump but it actually lubricates it as well. A couple/few to many times on a low tank can do it. The pump is around $300, according to a guru on this forum that has his own shop, and the labor to replace it makes up that price you were quoted.

Unless you take it for a second opinion where they measure the fuel pump flow, you're going to have to go by the dealer's diagnosis.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 07 Jun 2010, 03:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Nobody here is going to recommend a fuel pump relay when it's been diagnosed as being a bad fuel pump. Did they happen to mentioned what happened to the pump? Did yo know by driving the PT with less than 1/4 tank of gas can burn out the pump? The gas in the tank (that's where the pump is located) not only cools off the pump but it actually lubricates it as well. A couple/few to many times on a low tank can do it. The pump is around $300, according to a guru on this forum that has his own shop, and the labor to replace it makes up that price you were quoted.

Unless you take it for a second opinion where they measure the fuel pump flow, you're going to have to go by the dealer's diagnosis.
alright thanks for all the information
Old 07 Jun 2010, 04:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Performance auto parts & aftermarket auto accessories for your car, specializing SRT4, Crossfire SRT6, SLK32, C32 AMG, VR-4 sells a walboro 255 which is a step up from the oem walboro unit and to your door cost $99.00

at PTCrew.com - Learn it or Burn it. in the mod bible there is a step by step with pictures on how to swap your own fuel pump. it took me about 45 minutes but i am good with a wrench.

if you need links or help lmk

Josh
50trim (2 Weeks)
Stage 3 (3 months)
Big Wheel Stage 3 (6 months) my Fav
Holset HX35 (6 months) 700whp turbo
Stock turbo its a daily driver now

I've done this once or twice before...
Old 08 Jun 2010, 01:43 am
Regular Cruiser

Personally I'd get a second opinion. Could be something simple like a boost leak. Seems odd that the problem started right after you got it back from the shop. And would you not see a code for a faulty fuel pump?
2004 GT, 5spd, Stage1, K&N FIPK, Magnaflow 2.5" Catback, 3" O2, 3" Needswings Catless DP, Mopar BOV, NGK Iridiums, Mopar Wires, Aeroforce Interceptor w/wideband kit, Vibrant Catch Can, Prothane Inserts, AMX1397 upper and lower pipes, Plastic Intake, Hurst STS, S2 WGA, Factory Sub and now Alky Injected!
Old 09 Jun 2010, 03:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

If it were me I would hook up a fuel pressure gauge and test it...but then I work under the assumption that if their mouth is moving they are lying. Too many negative dealership experiences.

If the pressure is low it could just be a dirty filter that covers in the intake. Can't tell until you drop the tank though.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 09 Jun 2010, 08:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

have it test you fuel pump to make it sure before replacing it with a new one. you'll never know whose telling the truth.

Last edited by krislou80; 14 Jun 2010 at 11:20 pm.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 01:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Cruzer View Post
If it were me I would hook up a fuel pressure gauge and test it...but then I work under the assumption that if their mouth is moving they are lying. Too many negative dealership experiences.

If the pressure is low it could just be a dirty filter that covers in the intake. Can't tell until you drop the tank though.
x2... fuel pump and feul filter are IN THE FUEL TANK. if your gonna drop it spend $100 and just replace it. they sell filters here local for $17+tax... but thats just what i would do, the pump COMES with a new filter.

josh
50trim (2 Weeks)
Stage 3 (3 months)
Big Wheel Stage 3 (6 months) my Fav
Holset HX35 (6 months) 700whp turbo
Stock turbo its a daily driver now

I've done this once or twice before...
Old 15 Jun 2010, 06:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

I gotta say also, I should test your car for boost leaks. This is a very likely scenario if you are not feeling the boost anymore. Do you have a boost gauge?
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 16 Jun 2010, 09:25 am
Senior Cruiser

Kind of strange you car needed a timing belt at 60k to begin with and now soon as you get it back a fuel pump. This dealer isn't giving me a warm fuzzy feeling.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson