Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Turbo Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jun 2010, 11:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Turbo Help

Hi i am new to the forums i have a 03 pt cruiser gt when i purchased the car it had 43,000 miles on it.The turbo went out on me at 92k had a rebuilt turbo put in lasted 23k 18 months so i need to know if i can bypass the turbo or what is my cheapest option of replacing this.
Old 30 Jun 2010, 07:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Turbo Help

What are you doing to destroy turbos? I bet you aren't using synthetic oil - you should.
Go to PTCrew and post that you're looking for a replacement turbo....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 Jun 2010, 03:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Get thee to the church of synthetic oil. I have run turbos over 200K miles without them going bad. In my first turbo car back in the 80's I used dino oil for the first 40K miles and fried that turbo. Someone suggested synth to me back then and I have had no turbo issues since in 3 other turbo cars.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 30 Jun 2010, 03:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the responses this actually isnt my car its my dads but he is a bit computer illiterate so i am trying to help him out a little bit. He said he didnt run synthetic.so that is probably it. is their any way to bypass the turbo or is this a ridiclous question? Thanks
Old 30 Jun 2010, 04:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriving View Post
Thanks for the responses this actually isnt my car its my dads but he is a bit computer illiterate so i am trying to help him out a little bit. He said he didnt run synthetic.so that is probably it. is their any way to bypass the turbo or is this a ridiclous question? Thanks
thats a ridiculous question, its just gonna throw alot of other things off.....

Rebuild or replace it, then switch to syn oil.
Old 30 Jun 2010, 04:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Alright i see. That is what i thought what is the going rate for a rebuilt or new turbo.
Old 30 Jun 2010, 08:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

also what went bad in the turbo is the impeller
Old 01 Jul 2010, 08:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Go on PTCrew - lots more turbo gearheads there - you COULD bypass the turbo, but the PT would be a dog and it wouldn't be good to do for long.
Do your intro on PTCrew by stating the background and ask for help in getting a replacement turbo and swearing to use synthetic.
They are very experienced.
Old 01 Jul 2010, 02:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok thanks^
Old 08 Jul 2010, 06:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriving View Post
also what went bad in the turbo is the impeller
hey man,

the impellar doesn't go bad... it sucks stuff in. if it wiggles its the bearing. srt forums sells them (turbos) for $150-$200 what your looking for is the TD04 LR15gk. lmk if i can help.

Josh
50trim (2 Weeks)
Stage 3 (3 months)
Big Wheel Stage 3 (6 months) my Fav
Holset HX35 (6 months) 700whp turbo
Stock turbo its a daily driver now

I've done this once or twice before...