PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
how much will spark plug tune up run on GT Turbo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jul 2010, 09:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default how much will spark plug tune up run on GT Turbo

Hi

I am new to the site as just purchased a 2003 PT Cruiser GT with 5 speed last month. GT has 98k. I am 40 years old and car is fun to drive and sharp looking. Seems to shift a bit "notchy" from 1st to second and second to third. Rest of gears are fine. If I shift at 2600 RPM's seems to shift smoother for passenger comfort. Car was neglected by original owner (other than waxing and interior cleaning, and newer battery). Ironically all the electronics work fine like moonroof and heated seats.

I was out of work for a few months and as my finances permit I am slowly bringing engine up to its true performance. I had NTB (Sears) replace all hoses and the serpentine belt (had really bad fray marks).

This friday I am planning on having manual transmission fluid changed and get car tuned up. I see all four plugs are on the top but do you have to remove the manifold to get access to the middle two plugs.

I cannot imagine a simple spark plug change at NTB (division of Sears) charging more than $69. The manual transmission change is $39.

I am hoping by replacing fluid and tune up, this will solve "notchy" 2 and 3rd gear. Clutch was replaced 50k miles ago per Carfax report.

Hoping forum can help me with price of tune up at NTB and do you think this will solve notchy tranmission.

Thanks.
Old 06 Jul 2010, 10:47 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: how much will spark plug tune up run on GT Turbo

If you have a rachet set you could change the plugs yourself, 8$ for 4 champion plugs. Gap em at .040".

I would buy a good set of wire since the factory ones are junk. I have the blue MP Wires about 50$ a set.

per the notchy shifting. FLuid change may help but is need if never done.

I run Amsoil MTF fluid in mine and change it every 20K miles.

You have shifter cables with grommets with a bushing. THe bushings can wear and cause issues.

FWD Performance sells booger bushings which repalce the worn OEM bushings in the cables

Per getting at the plugs, you can get them out with with a swivel on the #2 plug, basically about 15 min job.

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue
Old 06 Jul 2010, 10:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: how much will spark plug tune up run on GT Turbo

Completely agree with VNT - you have the easiest of all PTs to do plugs and wires on - the aluminum intake!
Put a dab of anti-seize on plug threads, and dielectric grease on the spark plug boots.
The wires WILL need replacing - stock ones are crap.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles