Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Clutch Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Nov 2003, 04:44 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Clutch Problem

Went in to my garage to start up my GT and go to the bank this morning and when I started it the clutch felt way to easy to push down for the start. After warming up I pushed the clutch in and tried to put it in reverse. Could not put it in any gear. Turned it off and checked out the linkage under the hood. It worked fine. Got back in to try again. Started right up, but still wouldn't go into gear. Now I had this happen briefly a couple of months ago when I couldn't shift into any gear, but haven't had a problem since. Finally gave up and called the dealer for a tow. Still got warranty (15,600 miles)so I'm not messing with it. Waited over two hours for the tow truck. When the tow truck finally arrived and had pulled my GT up onto the truck I saw a small pool of clutch fluid on my garage floor. Don't know if it was the master cylinder or what. So I rode to the dealer in the tow truck and got it into service. I was told I would get it back next week. Luckily I had an extended waranty and I got a loaner car for free. It's a red '02 Intrepid and it's nice to drive, but it isn't my GT. I miss the power of my GT. It would kill the Intrepid in a race. I'm calling tomorrow to see if they found anything.
Old 08 Nov 2003, 03:54 am
Veteran Cruiser

It was as I thought. It's the clutch slave cylinder that went bad and leaked. It's covered under warranty. The tow was free and the loaner car is free so it's not costing me anything. The only problem is the slave cylinder is on back order and it will take a week or longer to get one in. It amazes me that it will take that long. Lucky I didn't have to pay for a rental car.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 08 Nov 2003, 04:27 pm
Regular Cruiser

welcome to the club....i hope we arn't trend setters. my slave unit went out a month ago, dc sent the wrong part so it took a couple of weeks to get fixed. question M. G., did your clutch have to be replaced on recall? my unit went out at 4000 miles.
steve[B)]
Old 08 Nov 2003, 08:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ote69

welcome to the club....i hope we arn't trend setters. my slave unit went out a month ago, dc sent the wrong part so it took a couple of weeks to get fixed. question M. G., did your clutch have to be replaced on recall? my unit went out at 4000 miles.
steve[B)]
No, my clutch did not have to be replaced as it didn't fall in the time frame. I hope we aren't trend setters. I wonder how many others have had their slave cylinder go out? My car has been classified as undriveable so I should get first dibs on a replacement unit according to the service guy.

Old 09 Nov 2003, 08:36 pm
Regular Cruiser

ya, i was left standed on the roof of my hospital's parking ramp. hair raising experence(even though I am bald) watching the tow guy pull it out...kept waiting for him to bash into somthing. any way it has worked well since. I do have 22 stop lights from my home to work in a 12 mile span so lots of rowing. hope it doesn't happen to anyone else
steve[^]
Old 14 Nov 2003, 10:41 pm
Young Cruiser

[:I]Wonder if the recall that was send out about 6 months ago by Chrysler has anything to do with this problem??? I had to have my clutch replaced under warranty. Jim
Old 15 Nov 2003, 03:14 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Believe the recall (C09) was for the Flywheel Pin and both the Flywheel and Clutch assembly are replaced under the recall. Affected 865 PT's manufacturered during 10/14/2002-11/29/2002 with the last 8 digits starting with 3T500070 through 3T585061. Chrysler states that "This range cannot be used to determine conclusively that a vehicle in the recall because most vehicles with a VIN within the range are not affected by the recall."

Other than that, have heard/read a few reports of the clutch cylinder going out, but not so many to be overly concerned at this point.
Old 15 Nov 2003, 04:08 am
Veteran Cruiser

Got my GT back today before I went to work. It was down for 8 days. The slave cylinder was fixed under warranty so I'm happy. My wife says it's nice to have me not depressed and cranky. [?]

Old 16 Nov 2003, 11:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

congrats!! glad its fixed!![8)]