Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need some mechanical advise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jul 2010, 04:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Need some mechanical advise

I have been visiting the forum off and on for the last 6 months trying to figure out what the heck is going on with my cruiser. I have a 2006 PT GT with the 2.4 L HO Turbo, in the last 6 months the check engine light comes on when ever we need to accel quickly or if we go uphill it gets sluggish and the light comes on. The error code that comes up is P2074. We have changed ou the cam position sensor, the map sensor, two O2 sensors and now the throttle position sensor, and we are still at a loss as to what may be going on. The cruiser now has 96k miles on it. Any suggestions.
Old 17 Jul 2010, 04:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Need some mechanical advise

P2074-MAP/TPS CORRELLATION - HIGH AIRFLOW/VACUUM LEAK DETECTED

Now, depending on your specific year and engine combination, there is updated software available for the engine controller to address this code.........assuming there isn't any vacuum leaks.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like you changed a lot of good parts for nothing.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Jul 2010, 05:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am hoping its not a vacuum leak issue. I did notice the mpg got better and better with each one I changed out, it had dropped down to 13 to 14 mpg up to 21mpg now. When the light comes on we loose overdrive, did notice when I use the auto stick it seems to behave a little better.

Also we have the ABS and Traction control lights on, is this going to be an easy sensor change or is it more complicated then that? I really hate the thought of leaving my cruiser at the dealer.
Old 17 Jul 2010, 05:26 pm
Banned

I don't have access to a code that high but I'm sure someone here will chime in with it. If it was my car I would do this list in no particular order.

1. Plugs and wires if they haven't been done recently (no plats in a turbo and no stock chrysler wires unless it's the blues)

2. Crank sensor (it works hand in hand with the cam sensor and the map). Use an oem sensor ONLY.

3. If the cam sensor was not oem then change it to one.

4. With that many miles you're ready for a timing belt, tensioner and water pump (pump has nothing to do with you problem, it just should be done with the belt and tensioner.)

5. Check to see if air filter is plugged.

6. Cat could be plugging up at that milage. I know of a couple that were restricted at that mileage and had to be replaced.

7. If you haven't recently, check for boost leaks in you turbo pipeing. If there is a leak they will hold a low (normal) amount of boost but under acceleration or a load they will allow boost to leak.

8. With that many miles I would do a "leak down" compression test to see what condition your valves and rings are in.

I should add that ANY car with that may miles could be prone to any and/or all of the problems I have mentioned. The pt is not alone here!

This was just off the top of my head. There are probably a couple more I missed. I am prone to large brain farts from time to time.

Jerry
Old 17 Jul 2010, 05:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry, I can only show you what I found in my search of your code. First, I'd look closely at everything that could cause you a vacuum leak. If your sure you don't have one, then as the advice says, you might need a software update which, I believe, is only available at a dealers.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Jul 2010, 05:29 pm
Banned

WOW Crewzin jumped in before I got mine posted. The man is like lightning I tell you . Lightning!

Jerry
Old 17 Jul 2010, 05:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Jerry, your advice is priceless. My answer was just shorter and to the point of the code. Everything you said should still be followed by the poster, code or not, because of the mileage of the cruiser.

Old 17 Jul 2010, 06:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Fortunately or maybe not but we have had to get all the parts so far from the chrysler, for some reason the parts places don't carry parts for my PT.

I will have the husband check for any leaks in the turbo.

We make sure to change the air filter frequently, at least every 5k miles due to the sand where we live. Most of the miles are highway miles.

The cam sensor was changed but the car ran alot worse after changing it so we put the old one back in. It is possible we need to try a new cam sensor and a crank sensor as well.

It also stalls when you crank it, and usually have to crank it twice before it will finally start.
Old 17 Jul 2010, 06:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You've said nothing, unless I missed it, about changing the plugs and wires. Those in itself would help you with starting and stalling.

Old 17 Jul 2010, 08:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

We have changed out the plugs recently, but not wires. I will try that next to help with the starting issue.