Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New PT Turbo TV commercial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Nov 2003, 06:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default New PT Turbo TV commercial

Has anybody else seen the commercial running on ABC for the PT Turbo? Pretty lame if you ask me. Do they mention 220 HP? Gertrag 5-Speed? Auto-Stick? Upgraded suspension? Nope. Only feature mentioned is "160 interior configurations" What the he** is that supposed to mean anyway? Surely not a feature that influenced my decision to buy at all!
Old 08 Nov 2003, 06:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Maybe DC is going after the Swiss Army crowd?[:I]
Old 08 Nov 2003, 07:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to sakigt

I think the fact that they have Celine Deon (spelling) playing in the backround is a big hint. [B)]

14.67 @ 94.5 <--- Self Proclaimed Fastest East Coast PT with Black wheels!!!
Old 08 Nov 2003, 08:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Dion
Old 08 Nov 2003, 09:53 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

A lot a car companies don't advertise hp anymore due to the insurance company tendencies to charge higher premiums. When you consider that the PT has been Chrysler's highest selling model for the past year, one doesn't want to kill any potential sales. The "160 interior configurations" is to show you can have a flexible interior in a uniquely stylish, smaller, inexpensive package that was originally supposed to attract the college crowd or younger people that move a lot. Honda's Element and Toyota's Scion xB are recent attempts to reach the same demographics. However, the car companies are finding out that the older crowd are the main buyers and often outbid (overpay) when the model is 1st available, thus kills sales to the younger crowd when supplies are more plentiful, and ends up stuck with a label that the car is for old folks. Chrysler already has the Neon SRT4 billed as a performance model and probably wants to generate more sales of that model. IMHO, the Razor should be put into production replacing the Neon. The styling is more youth oriented, 2.4L turbo, 6-speed tranny, and rear drive too.

The Getrag transmission was originally designed for the PT CRD turbo diesel and reviews of that transmission was mixed. A quote from BBC Top Gear Magazine:
"The turbo diesel engine is combined with a 'short throw' Getrag five speed manual transmission to ensure smooth acceleration and relaxed cruising, coupled with excellent fuel economy characteristics at all times."
And from Hoot! magazine:
"The gearbox is a five-speed Getrag which has sporting connotations but, at least on the car I drove, didn't provide the slickest gearshifting experience. It never actually baulked a change, but try and go from second to reverse to first in a rush and it's a little unwilling to comply."
The above comments could be the main reason the SRT4 uses the T850 transmission instead. There are rumors that the current PT Getrag transmission was originally a Chrysler design contracted out to Getrag.

Personally, I like the autostick®, wasn't available in the states (export models only)in 2002 so I decided to buy the 5-speed. For those like me that hate electronic transmissions and the "learning mode" in general (a gimmick, IMHO, and before going on a trip you may want to reset the computer back to the base settings), you control when you want the shifts to occur. A lot of European drivers use the manual shift mode more over the fully automatic mode.

Chrysler needs to offer the same performance programs the imports do. Buy factory speed parts and have the dealer install them and your warranty is still intact. The imports often have an advantage since many new models introduced in the states have been selling in Japan or Europe for a year or more and have aftermarket parts (body kits, performance goodies, etc) available for show and sale immediately at the dealer. Look at some of the SEMA or import shows, you often see fully modded production cars before its even up for sale at your local dealer. They generate excitement and potential (wish lists) aftermarket parts sales before the model is available in the showrooms.
Old 09 Nov 2003, 01:19 am
Cool Cruiser

I would agree with you but if you look through the threads here, it's obvious that most PT GT owners don't want a warranty with their MOPAR performance parts. I'm confused to how you came to the conclusion that anyone is interested in a warranty with their car purchase at all??!!
Sarcasm finished!

LIP
Old 09 Nov 2003, 10:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

i saw the ad also it was a little lame
Old 09 Nov 2003, 04:19 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lip

I would agree with you but if you look through the threads here, it's obvious that most PT GT owners don't want a warranty with their MOPAR performance parts. I'm confused to how you came to the conclusion that anyone is interested in a warranty with their car purchase at all??!!
Sarcasm finished!

LIP
I appreciate your sarcasm!

We know that the truth is quite the contrary,
Daimler Chrysler is interpreting that LACK OF SALES of performance parts as - old folks that don't want to modify their cars. (Big Mistake!)
It's just harder to pull the wool over an old dog's eyes than a young pup. The narrowminded folks that make the big decisions won't change till it hits their pocket book. PT owners should and do appreciate their warranties......the cost of repair on a turbo engine is NOT like the old V-8.
Old 09 Nov 2003, 07:48 pm
Young Cruiser

I think the Razor would have been a good production car, and even better would have been the Crossfire with a lower price tag

The SRT4 does appeal to a lot of the "younger" crowd mostly because of the power for the price - there aren't any leather seats, different interior options, or anything of the sort. The car was built to make a lot of power, under 21k, making it an affordable rice killer. It doesn't handle especially well, and sometimes feels like it has the turning radius of a mac truck ... The cars downfall lies in the stupidity of the immature people have these cars, who are crashing them because they aren't experienced in handling a car with more power than your standard ****vic. (no offense)

The PT GT is like the luxury version of the SRT4. Anything can be standard, from heated seats, to an in-dash six, and tons of cargo room. IMO, a lot of younger adults might not be interested in this as it would probably be replaced by something aftermarket anyway. Seeing that most of the population that purchases these cars is over 25 years of age, things like cargo room and comfort would be more appealing than hearing about the turbo and bullet proff engine, etc...

Best ET : 14.1 @ 98 MPH [Automatic]

Mopar Stage 1, Mopar 2.5\" Exhaust, Mopar BOV, Mopar/KW Variant 3 Coilovers, Eibach Sway Bars, 225/45/17 Goodyear GSD3 Tires, MPSC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, PTeazer Rollpan, \'06 Taillights, Mopar Navigation and Subwoofer</font id=\"navy\">

<font color=\"red\"> <b>2005 Crossfire SRT-6 </b>

Best ET : 13.4 @ 108 MPH
</font id=\"red\">
Old 09 Nov 2003, 09:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

Kirby and I have been beating this dog for a long time now. I wish someone at DC would log on and read that people really WANT to have the same kind of warranty backing that other manufacturers offer to support their aftermarket aspirations. I honestly will not consider another DC car unless this changes. There are too many other choices out there today. Rant over.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come