Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
turbo not spinning?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jul 2010, 01:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default turbo not spinning?

Hey guys, im a new user here! Hello to all! I currently own a 2002 gold pt dreamcruiser and am looking to buy a 2003 gt turbo as well. I test drove the gt turbo yesterday off of a car lot and noticed very low power and no turbo "whine". The oil was very dirty but the rest of the car is in nice shape and everything sounds good. I am pretty sure that the turbo is not doing a single thing. The car accelerates sluggishly and at full throttle it speeds up slowly and won't shift until you back off the accelerator! (BTW it is an autostick!!) If you tour around town going easy on the gas everything seems to shift ok, but the car is still slow. If the turbo isn't building boost would that affect the transmission not shifting under full throttle as well? Does this sound like it could be an issue of the turbo being seized? Thanks guys
Old 18 Jul 2010, 05:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: turbo not spinning?

Hello my friend!!! Welcome to the forum!!! Yes if you have problems with the turbo that will affect all the performance of the vehicle. Take the airbox off that conects to the turbo then with your hand move the shaft from the turbo to see if it has any movement up and down. That will give you a indication that it needs bearings. Also check if it does spins by turning the fan with your fingers!!! If the car has too many issues then move on to another turbo car because some times that will give you too many problems and it will cost you a lot of money at the end!!! Good luck my friend!!!
Old 18 Jul 2010, 09:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info, i'll give that a try!!
Old 22 Jul 2010, 06:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

I would find one that doesn't have problems going in unless you are really getting the killer-diller deal...I mean really killer. When you start talking about the trans not shifting that is major, and the auto trans is the weak link. Find a 5 speed or start saving for a trans.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come