Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Widest Tire on stock rim?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Nov 2003, 02:18 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Widest Tire on stock rim?

I know this was asked before, but I can't find the link. Took off my Mille's (17x8) and my stocks look chicken legged.
Anyone know if a 215 will fit and any suggestions on a make?
Thanks.
Old 09 Nov 2003, 02:27 am
Cool Cruiser

Here's the link to Jody's car with Yoko 215's pics included

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...?TOPIC_ID=2227

\'03 Electric Blue GT, silencers removed, K&N intake, Blanes Hood Struts, Emblems removed from rear hatch, Stage 1, Mopar BOV, Eibach springs, 18x8 Mille Miglia EV-R on 225/40/18 BFG g-Force T/A KDW 2, Eibach sway kit F&R, BTG Strut Bar, Chrome fuel door, custom 3\" cat-back exhaust with Magnaflow High-flow muffler, Blitz Dual Turbo Timer, Autometer Triple gauge pod, Autometer Ultra-lite with boost/vac, oil press and water temp gauges, Turbochargers.com wastegate, turboxs DSBC, Adams UCP, Dynoworks motor mounts with more to come.....
Old 09 Nov 2003, 07:57 pm
Young Cruiser

A 215/50 would be the closest match to the stock tire ...

Best ET : 14.1 @ 98 MPH [Automatic]

Mopar Stage 1, Mopar 2.5\" Exhaust, Mopar BOV, Mopar/KW Variant 3 Coilovers, Eibach Sway Bars, 225/45/17 Goodyear GSD3 Tires, MPSC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, PTeazer Rollpan, \'06 Taillights, Mopar Navigation and Subwoofer</font id=\"navy\">

<font color=\"red\"> <b>2005 Crossfire SRT-6 </b>

Best ET : 13.4 @ 108 MPH
</font id=\"red\">
Old 09 Nov 2003, 09:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Doing the math a 215 would be...
.39 inches wider than stock
.20 inches taller section heigth (side wall) than stock
.39 inchers greater diameter taller overall than stock
1.24 inches greater rolling circumfrence than stock

I won't go into (because I really don't know on these cars) how a larger diameter tire will affect shifting on an auto stick. These cars are a lot more sofisticated than the older computers but changing tires sizes and final drive ratios used to give some problems on older mustangs when the trannys were 1st computer controlled. You would get a sloppy slow shift sometimes. The 215 is a very small step though.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 09 Nov 2003, 09:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I have a 5 speed. Kinda actually looking for a snow tire. Will save some money over the winter and will start looking for a new set of rims (7.5"x17) and tires. For now, want to get a set of winter sneakers for the stock rims.

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 09 Nov 2003, 09:28 pm
Young Cruiser

...the best fit would be a 225/45, but a 225 is pressing it on a 6 inch wide rim...

225/45

Old tire height: 25.07
New tire height: 24.97

In theory, a smaller tire will increase the gear ratio which will help on any car...

If you are looking for a winter tire, you want to stick with a narrower tire, as they tend to travel better in the snow with less resistance.

A 205/50 would work just fine. The Bridgestone Blizzaks are a good Winter tire I would recommend. The WS50's are one of their best (but are hard to come across in a 205/50) the LM22's tend not to have good traction on ice... it all depends on how you drive and where you live, as to what winter tire would fit your needs the best....

Best ET : 14.1 @ 98 MPH [Automatic]

Mopar Stage 1, Mopar 2.5\" Exhaust, Mopar BOV, Mopar/KW Variant 3 Coilovers, Eibach Sway Bars, 225/45/17 Goodyear GSD3 Tires, MPSC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, PTeazer Rollpan, \'06 Taillights, Mopar Navigation and Subwoofer</font id=\"navy\">

<font color=\"red\"> <b>2005 Crossfire SRT-6 </b>

Best ET : 13.4 @ 108 MPH
</font id=\"red\">
Old 12 Nov 2003, 08:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to 026TB4U

I have recently fitted a set of 245/45 r17 on my 2003 gt and they f[8)]it nice and dont rub anywhere i put them on the stock 17 inch rims
Old 13 Nov 2003, 12:48 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to AZ_IceMan

I just got some 255/40ZR/17's put on and they handle soooo much better than the stock ones. No rubbing issues either. [8)]

PrototypePower Performance UpCharge Pipe, Custom Cold Air Intake
Mopar Blow Off Valve, Mopar Stage ? Mopar Stage 1 PCM, AGP WasteGate Actuator,
TurboXS Dual Stage Boost Controller, TruBendz 3\" DownPipe with Custom 3\" Dual Exhaust,
NGK V-Power Plugs and AGP Performance Wires,
Autometer A-Pillar Pod with Boost/Trans Temp Guages
Old 13 Nov 2003, 10:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

You fit 255 on stock rim? Widest tire we have managed is a 235, and that was just clearing the strut.
Old 14 Nov 2003, 01:08 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Now we are getting to the real reason to go with a coil over suspension. Better handling? Yes More adjustability? Yes ROOM TO FIT REAL TIRES? Yes, Yes, Yes!