PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
is it really that simple with the bushings for 5 speed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jul 2010, 01:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default is it really that simple with the bushings for 5 speed.

Hi All,

I brought Gt into Aamco for free diagnostic. Tech gave me an repair estimate of $515 to replace cable in 5 speed. He did not think changing the bushing for $15 would improve the notchy clutch for gears 2 and 3.

Another smaller transmission shop also felt cable was the issue. I know I asked question last week but has anybody else had similiar experience. I will order the bushing as only $15 and looks very easy to install (located under air filter housing).

Both mechanics kind of chuckled that the notchy clutch can be repaired and made to shift smooth by just replacing with aftermarket bushing.

I appreciate any other feedback.

Regards,

Brian
Old 22 Jul 2010, 06:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: is it really that simple with the bushings for 5 speed.

Yes! Booger Bushings really do work. The stock bushings fall apart after a while because they are not a solid bushing and are made of rubber. Boogers are solid and made of poly. I did just the ones on the transmission end so far and it fixed my problem with the shifter. I will do the shifter end one of these days. DON"T let them sell you a whole new shifter cable assembly.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 22 Jul 2010, 06:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks yes they were trying to sell me a whole new cable as Chrysler does not sell replacement bushings.
Old 26 Jul 2010, 03:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Any idea if the booger bushings wear out. Have a 2001 PT with Hurst Shifter since almost new. Has 134000 miles on it and wants to jump out of 1st and reverse. Where can you get the bushings? Thanks
Old 27 Jul 2010, 12:20 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stState View Post
Where can you get the bushings? Thanks
Online at Modern Performance
2004 GT, 5spd, Stage1, K&N FIPK, Magnaflow 2.5" Catback, 3" O2, 3" Needswings Catless DP, Mopar BOV, NGK Iridiums, Mopar Wires, Aeroforce Interceptor w/wideband kit, Vibrant Catch Can, Prothane Inserts, AMX1397 upper and lower pipes, Plastic Intake, Hurst STS, S2 WGA, Factory Sub and now Alky Injected!
Old 27 Jul 2010, 01:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

The Boogers do work-- and they'll last forever.

Here's his site:
Home of the new “BoogerBushing”

Old 01 Aug 2010, 12:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: is it really that simple with the bushings for 5 speed.

Hello.. I'm new to the forum and hope someone can help me out.

I've recently been having problems shifting (primarily into 1st and 2nd) on my 06 manual transmission PT and read on a few posts to try replacing the bushings before anything else. The two on the transmission end were easy enough to do and now I'm onto the shifter set. I've already got the center console out and I see where the bushings are but I'm not quite sure how to get them off. Could anyone help me out?
Old 03 Aug 2010, 01:53 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrogers82 View Post
Hello.. I'm new to the forum and hope someone can help me out.

I've recently been having problems shifting (primarily into 1st and 2nd) on my 06 manual transmission PT and read on a few posts to try replacing the bushings before anything else. The two on the transmission end were easy enough to do and now I'm onto the shifter set. I've already got the center console out and I see where the bushings are but I'm not quite sure how to get them off. Could anyone help me out?
Most just carefully pry them off with a screw driver. Detailed instructions with pics at:
PTCrew.com - Learn it or Burn it.
2004 GT, 5spd, Stage1, K&N FIPK, Magnaflow 2.5" Catback, 3" O2, 3" Needswings Catless DP, Mopar BOV, NGK Iridiums, Mopar Wires, Aeroforce Interceptor w/wideband kit, Vibrant Catch Can, Prothane Inserts, AMX1397 upper and lower pipes, Plastic Intake, Hurst STS, S2 WGA, Factory Sub and now Alky Injected!