Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I want to increase torque...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jul 2010, 08:29 pm
Young Cruiser

Default I want to increase torque...

What is an easy way to increase torque(2000-3000rpm) on my 2005 pt gt with the plastic intake and intake mod already installed?
I dont really need a 500hp hot rod, I just want it to have a little more pep when cruising in high gear around 55-65. Right now when it goes up a steep hill at those speeds, i have to give it a good deal of throttle to go up it without losing speed or downshifting(its automatic), and i would love to lessen the amount of throttle i have to give it to maintain that speed.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 09:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: I want to increase torque...

MORE BOOST
Old 27 Jul 2010, 01:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

DSP is the way to go.

Diablosport Predator Tuner 03-05 Neon SRT4 - 03-05 Dodge SRT4 Diablosport Predator Handheld Programmer SRT-4

Old 28 Jul 2010, 12:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_or_not_PT View Post
What is an easy way to increase torque(2000-3000rpm) on my 2005 pt gt with the plastic intake and intake mod already installed?
I dont really need a 500hp hot rod, I just want it to have a little more pep when cruising in high gear around 55-65. Right now when it goes up a steep hill at those speeds, i have to give it a good deal of throttle to go up it without losing speed or downshifting(its automatic), and i would love to lessen the amount of throttle i have to give it to maintain that speed.
if you need more pep you just need to down shift or down stick to get back in your powerband. the turbos full spool is at 2400 and its not a good thing to be part throttle boosting either, turbos dont like surge and its not an N/A

Nevin.
03 SRT-4 132k mi ported stocker and lots of other stuff

68 Mustang Coupe project fail!!

PT Less - ex wife took in the divorce 3/2011
05 GT Cruiser H.O. last dyno 245hp/283tq @ 15psi OCT 08
3 in intake, Stage 1 PCM, Stage 2 WGA, ported turbo@21psi, 682cc, 160 deg T-stat, Check valve, Ngk 4306 plugs, 10mm spark plug wires, 3in O2, 3in DP, 3in Y-pipe with E-cutout, 2.5 in catback exhaust, upper/lower hardpipes, HKS SSQ bov, block off plate, Energy Suspention MM inserts, NSRT hawk HPS front/rear pads, NSRT Drilled/slotted rotors, NSRT steel braded front lines, Mopar 26mm Swaybar, NSRT energy suspention swaybar bushing, NSRT energy suspention swaybar endlinks, APC Non-turbo strut bar, Black housing headlights, Tinted rear tail lights, Schroth 4 point harness, Perrin catchcan, 3 pod a-piller, boost guage 30/30, oil pressure gauge, volt gauge
Old 31 Jul 2010, 08:57 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I agree drop in filter & Diablo Prediator,,, if its aTurbo I cant see how its not plenty of torque with just these two mods... MJB
Old 31 Jul 2010, 09:49 pm
Young Cruiser

The only way to get more boost is to stage 1 or get a turbo controller(that i know of), which both seem too difficult/expensive for me because i dont know anything about hooking up a controller safely and correctly, and ive heard that since its an automatic, the transmission has to be reprogrammed for stage 1.
Correct me if ive been misinformed, but ive always heard that programmers like the diablo and etc. dont really improve anything, just trick the cpu into giving it more air/fuel at a lower throttle, which kills mpg?
I already have the prescribed intake mod with the drop in filter, which might have helped a small amount in the low rpms, but not really as much as i expected from reading about it lol. Its definitely not weak now, i just have to drive it a certain way up the very steep hills at 60+ mph in order to maintain speed without downshifting. i would just like for it to be able to GAIN speed when going up those hills without downshifting.
Old 02 Aug 2010, 02:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
The only way to get more boost is to stage 1 or get a turbo controller(that i know of), which both seem too difficult/expensive for me because i dont know anything about hooking up a controller safely and correctly, and ive heard that since its an automatic, the transmission has to be reprogrammed for stage 1.
Correct me if ive been misinformed, but ive always heard that programmers like the diablo and etc. dont really improve anything, just trick the cpu into giving it more air/fuel at a lower throttle, which kills mpg?
I already have the prescribed intake mod with the drop in filter, which might have helped a small amount in the low rpms, but not really as much as i expected from reading about it lol. Its definitely not weak now, i just have to drive it a certain way up the very steep hills at 60+ mph in order to maintain speed without downshifting. i would just like for it to be able to GAIN speed when going up those hills without downshifting.
your asking for this area (2000-3000rpm)

the turbo doesn't like that area, it like above that area. your best thing to do is "driver mod" and down shift and get in the higher RPM (above 3K) where it does like it. it will run smoother up the hill without putting much strane on the engine and turbo because your demanding before its even fully spooled.

if you dont like this ^^^^ then trade it in for an N/A PT. there is a certain way you have to drive a turbo car.

Nevin.
03 SRT-4 132k mi ported stocker and lots of other stuff

68 Mustang Coupe project fail!!

PT Less - ex wife took in the divorce 3/2011
05 GT Cruiser H.O. last dyno 245hp/283tq @ 15psi OCT 08
3 in intake, Stage 1 PCM, Stage 2 WGA, ported turbo@21psi, 682cc, 160 deg T-stat, Check valve, Ngk 4306 plugs, 10mm spark plug wires, 3in O2, 3in DP, 3in Y-pipe with E-cutout, 2.5 in catback exhaust, upper/lower hardpipes, HKS SSQ bov, block off plate, Energy Suspention MM inserts, NSRT hawk HPS front/rear pads, NSRT Drilled/slotted rotors, NSRT steel braded front lines, Mopar 26mm Swaybar, NSRT energy suspention swaybar bushing, NSRT energy suspention swaybar endlinks, APC Non-turbo strut bar, Black housing headlights, Tinted rear tail lights, Schroth 4 point harness, Perrin catchcan, 3 pod a-piller, boost guage 30/30, oil pressure gauge, volt gauge
Old 02 Aug 2010, 05:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
You can have a dealer install the S1 but it really is not hard to do. Either is the trans re-learn. It is just a matter of driving the car and doing a series of acceration runs at different throttle %'s. Since you have an '05 you already have the larger injectors from the factory. All you need to do is unplug the computer and plug the new one in more or less. If you can unscrew some bolts you can do it. Better yet, in many areas you will find willing assitance from a fellow PT owner. Go post for help at PTCREW.COM and you might be surprised. I have helpd several people in my area make the swap.

Quote:
You are wrong. The Diablo isn't "tricking" anything. It reprograms to allow more boost (and a lot more but I don't want to go into all of that now) which needs more fuel to keep your engine from becoming a pile of scrap. It is a tuning tool. Will it use more fuel? If you keep your foot in it all the time of course it will. You should go ask over on PTCREW.COM. Many DSP owners hang out there.

Quote:

I would get a boost gauge and check for boost leaks if youy don't feel you are getting all the torque you deserve.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 02 Aug 2010, 07:16 pm
Young Cruiser

The stage 1 would be easy to install; ive did much more complicated things than switch cpu's, but i read on here about how you had to go through a specific series of acceleration runs or else the auto trans would be junk, which really sort of scared me away from it. also, it still has a 2 yr warranty and the s1 will void that, so ive heard...
I do have a boost/vac gauge, but i can only check it in park with the hood raised. Can i properly check it that way? If so, what is the proper way; do i just rev it up and see where the boost peaks, or do i give it full throttle and see where it peaks? Also, ive heard everywhere from 12-14 psi stock, what is the normal boost pressure stock?
Old 03 Aug 2010, 01:46 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Can i properly check it that way? If so, what is the proper way; do i just rev it up and see where the boost peaks, or do i give it full throttle and see where it peaks? Also, ive heard everywhere from 12-14 psi stock, what is the normal boost pressure stock?
You will not be able to check boost properly without driving the car. What kind of boost gauge do you have? Get it in the cabin and go for a drive! Stock boost is around 11-13psi.
2004 GT, 5spd, Stage1, K&N FIPK, Magnaflow 2.5" Catback, 3" O2, 3" Needswings Catless DP, Mopar BOV, NGK Iridiums, Mopar Wires, Aeroforce Interceptor w/wideband kit, Vibrant Catch Can, Prothane Inserts, AMX1397 upper and lower pipes, Plastic Intake, Hurst STS, S2 WGA, Factory Sub and now Alky Injected!