PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Turbo Removal

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Aug 2010, 10:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Turbo Removal

Sorry guys, new to the forum, and I wasnt sure where to put this so here goes.

My wife just blew the turbo on her 2004 PT Cruiser GT. I am going to be doing a rebuild on it, but before I get started, I need to know if I need to pull the engine to do so, or can I just wiggle the turbo out.
Old 02 Aug 2010, 02:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Turbo Removal

you dont need to pull the engine you just need to remove a few minor pices to get to it.

Nevin.
03 SRT-4 132k mi ported stocker and lots of other stuff

68 Mustang Coupe project fail!!

PT Less - ex wife took in the divorce 3/2011
05 GT Cruiser H.O. last dyno 245hp/283tq @ 15psi OCT 08
3 in intake, Stage 1 PCM, Stage 2 WGA, ported turbo@21psi, 682cc, 160 deg T-stat, Check valve, Ngk 4306 plugs, 10mm spark plug wires, 3in O2, 3in DP, 3in Y-pipe with E-cutout, 2.5 in catback exhaust, upper/lower hardpipes, HKS SSQ bov, block off plate, Energy Suspention MM inserts, NSRT hawk HPS front/rear pads, NSRT Drilled/slotted rotors, NSRT steel braded front lines, Mopar 26mm Swaybar, NSRT energy suspention swaybar bushing, NSRT energy suspention swaybar endlinks, APC Non-turbo strut bar, Black housing headlights, Tinted rear tail lights, Schroth 4 point harness, Perrin catchcan, 3 pod a-piller, boost guage 30/30, oil pressure gauge, volt gauge
Old 02 Aug 2010, 02:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

Remove the intake box and pipe

remove un fasten the upper charge pipe and move out of the way or remove

remove the intake manifold for the 04 it should be alummium. if so you'll need a new gasket for installation

you should see the turbo in the back next to the fire wall.

10mm bolts hold on the upper heatshield their should be 5 bolts. works easier to remove if you hit them with PV blaster before removing them.

on the lower back part of the turbo you will see a worm grove clam connecting the charge pipe to the turbo you will need to lossen it.

next you will need to remove the oil and coolant lines from on top and behind the turbo. they should be 3-16mm bolts with copper washers on both sides. make sure you dont lose them.

next you will need to take a 10mm and remove the V-band clamp connecting the turbo to the exhaust manifold you may need to lightly tap on it to get it to seperate. there is a metal gasket do not lose.

next you will need to take an 8mm wrench and unbolt the first bolt on the oil drain line under the turbo, the second back bolt just needs to be lossen and will slide off the tube.

the turbo should come out freely

installation is the same as reverse.

any other question just google turbo install or removal on an SRT-4 its the same thing just intake manifolds are differrent.

good luck

Nevin.
03 SRT-4 132k mi ported stocker and lots of other stuff

68 Mustang Coupe project fail!!

PT Less - ex wife took in the divorce 3/2011
05 GT Cruiser H.O. last dyno 245hp/283tq @ 15psi OCT 08
3 in intake, Stage 1 PCM, Stage 2 WGA, ported turbo@21psi, 682cc, 160 deg T-stat, Check valve, Ngk 4306 plugs, 10mm spark plug wires, 3in O2, 3in DP, 3in Y-pipe with E-cutout, 2.5 in catback exhaust, upper/lower hardpipes, HKS SSQ bov, block off plate, Energy Suspention MM inserts, NSRT hawk HPS front/rear pads, NSRT Drilled/slotted rotors, NSRT steel braded front lines, Mopar 26mm Swaybar, NSRT energy suspention swaybar bushing, NSRT energy suspention swaybar endlinks, APC Non-turbo strut bar, Black housing headlights, Tinted rear tail lights, Schroth 4 point harness, Perrin catchcan, 3 pod a-piller, boost guage 30/30, oil pressure gauge, volt gauge
Old 02 Aug 2010, 10:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you very much, that is exactly what I needed. I have been trying to search for it but it was not comming up. Hopefully I will get it done tommorow, and the pt will be as good as new.
Old 08 Aug 2011, 10:08 pm
Young Cruiser

While you might be able to wiggle the turbo out, it would be best to take out enough of the parts that bolt to the engine to gain easy access to the turbo charger. In this case purchasing a service auto repair manuals would provide a better answer.
Old 09 Aug 2011, 06:26 pm
Regular Cruiser

Were you planning to rebuild the turbo yourself? We do offer rebuilding services as well as cartridge replacements.

Check the following link out for installation assistance and turbo replacement options:

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...albums229.html

Thanks!

Chris-TU
Vienna, Austria Europe Office Now Open!
Home of the 2 Year Warranty PT Cruiser TurboCharger
Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com
http://www.turbosunleashed.com
602-76-BOOST
602-76-26678
Old 29 Jun 2013, 07:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just a fair warning... If you contact the above vendor Turbos unleashed. You had better purchase ALL your parts ALL of them! I contacted this person "Chris" this morning in hopes of purchasing a new compressor side body as mine is damaged. I stated to him (after he called me back) that my turbine side (a mistaken statement I meant compressor side) I corrected myself after he said the compressor side isn't usually damaged. I told him that mine was. I also told him that I had already purchased a cartridge from somewhere else. As soon as I said that I had purchased the cartridge from another company he gruffly said "I am not tech service (or something like that) If I wanted a compressor housing I should purchase it from whom ever I bought the cartridge from! I told him I was going to purchase from him if he had one.... He then said "good day" and hung up! I don't know how you feel about respect. I always give respect to anybody I talk to business or personal.
Im 46 years old. Not a flake nor am I a drunk or druggy. I earn my money and do my own mechanic work. This is a relatively simple straight forward procedure. Only when I run into characters like this fellow... "Chris" do I have a problem doing my own work. Fair warning is given....Good luck!
Old 30 Jun 2013, 12:13 am
Regular Cruiser

We apologize if you misunderstood our response this morning.

We were attending a seminar in North Phoenix all morning and could not answer any of the numerous phone calls which you made between 10:27 and 11:10 AM. After the third call we texted you that we "were in a meeting" and that we "would call you back". Our text bounced back letting us know it was undeliverable and the calls just kept coming.

At the very next break (11:30) we immediately called you back and informed you that we do offer compressor covers, but, only to customers who purchase turbochargers from us. Installation of a new turbocharger into our serviced compressor cover is a FREE SERVICE we ONLY offer to our customers. We then require them to send their original compressor covers back as a core exchange. With the limited amount of covers we have in stock we do not have "Extras" to sell outright to just anyone who may need one. It's hard enough trying to get our customers to send their cores back with a $100. core fee on them. We simply do not have enough and do not want to stop offering this FREE service to our customers. This is the main reason why compressor covers are not listed separately on our website to purchase. We don't sell them.

Our conversation took up most of the break time. It was getting very loud in the lobby since they were calling us back into the conference room. With all the noise going on around us you were very difficult to hear so I stated that I could not provide the compressor cover. I then suggested that you contact the company that you purchased your turbo from since they should be able to provide you with any technical support and they may have a few spare compressor covers. If I hung up on you abruptly I apologize but I could not hear you.

Feel free to contact us on Monday when we are back in the office if you are unsuccesful in securing a cover with your turbo supplier and we will offer up other suggestions.

Chris Wright
Turbosunleashed.com
602-762-6678
nibbler likes this.
Vienna, Austria Europe Office Now Open!
Home of the 2 Year Warranty PT Cruiser TurboCharger
Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com
http://www.turbosunleashed.com
602-76-BOOST
602-76-26678
Old 30 Jun 2013, 07:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Let me say I've had no dealings with this member / vendor. In the time I have been on this forum. I have read where this vender has helped others while in the same situation of purchasing a unit from another vendor. And was posted here by that person that he did so. So maybe it's a misunderstanding and you should take him up on his offer to help you find another source. Don't know either one of you but hope this gets resolved in a friendly manor.
NitroPT likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 Jun 2013, 10:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I have to agree with Busted I have read a lot of post where Chris has helped a lot of guys on here and never to me did he seem cocky or to to be a know it all( although Im sure he knows a lot)
I have never read where any body had a issue with him or his product so id say maybe this is a misunderstanding ????
It might be best to handle this person to person than on the open forum im just saying
Busted_PT likes this.